• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Never ever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . . . I ask the lad behind the counter how much. He pulls out a box of 1000, holds up his little laser pistol and it goes "BEEP". He says "Four ninety nine". I said "I'll take three". Three thousand caps for fifteen bucks plus tax. . . . . ..

I had a similar experience, when years ago, there was a Sportsman’s Wearhouse in Danbury, Ct.
Went in to the gun dept. where a young lady of high school age was behind the counter . . .no one else in sight.
Asked her for some small pistol primers . . . .she said yes, as they were behind her on a shelf.
I knew from previous purchase, they were priced at 75 cents per 100.
When she turned back to me, she had an entire BRICK (1000 primers) in her hand that some BORED TO DEATH counter-person had plastered those little red price stickers ALL OVER THE CARTON . . . .each sticker reading ”.75”
Her not knowing any better, sold me the entire brick for seventy-five cents!
I asked her if there were any more . . .”Yes”, says she, . . . so I ponied up another 75 cents!
2000 primers for $1.50 . . . . .The store folded a few years later . . . .Wonder why?

I asked a shop assistant how much the RWS Top Hat caps were , He pulled out a paper covered roll of 4 tins and said ten dollars , Giving him a chance I asked if he was sure , yep was the reply , how many rolls ? five , will you sell me them all at that price, Yep , so I brought the lot , That was in 1984 and I still have one tin left .
Later when I was in the gun trade I discovered the wholesaler priced the caps in 100's and invoiced accordingly , whoever did their inwards goods did not realise that the cost was per 100 caps not per 250 tin .

I had a similar experience, when years ago, there was a Sportsman’s Wearhouse in Danbury, Ct.
Went in to the gun dept. where a young lady of high school age was behind the counter . . .no one else in sight.
Asked her for some small pistol primers . . . .she said yes, as they were behind her on a shelf.
When she turned back to me, she had an entire BRICK (1000 primers) in her hand that some BORED TO DEATH counter-person had plastered those little red price stickers ALL OVER THE CARTON . . . .each sticker reading ”.75”
I asked her if there were any more . . .”Yes”, says she, . . . so I ponied up another 75 cents!
2000 primers for $1.50 . . . . .The store folded a few years later . . . .Wonder why?
Jim, if I have read and understand your post correctly you stole those from the salesperson and the store. That was a morally reprehensible thing to do. Shame on you.
John Ellis.

I asked a shop assistant how much the RWS Top Hat caps were , He pulled out a paper covered roll of 4 tins and said ten dollars , Giving him a chance I asked if he was sure , yep was the reply , how many rolls ? five , will you sell me them all at that price, Yep , so I brought the lot , That was in 1984 and I still have one tin left .
Later when I was in the gun trade I discovered the wholesaler priced the caps in 100's and invoiced accordingly , whoever did their inwards goods did not realise that the cost was per 100 caps not per 250 tin .
Cutfinger, that was a real display of honesty on your part. It causes me to wonder at the honesty of your recent commercial deals!

"Wonder Why" . Could have something to do with honesty of store customers ?????

Cutfinger, that was a real display of honesty on your part. It causes me to wonder at the honesty of your recent commercial deals!
What recent commercial deals .The only commercial deal I have done in the last 14 years is to sell a Uberti Hawken and mould for $800 , which I turned into Schutzen powder . Another thing I had just purchased a Parker Hale Musketoon off him and had no idea of the cost of top hats , just no 11's , it was just that they seemed too cheap.

Last edited:
Jim, if I have read and understand your post correctly you stole those from the salesperson and the store. That was a morally reprehensible thing to do. Shame on you.
John Ellis.

Not hardly, John . . . .

I gave the sales girl American currency for the merchandise!

Wonder if she had to make up the price difference in the end once the registers were cleared for the night, I never have and never will let one's youth, or for that matter anyone's un-knowledge or other misunderstanding in a transaction be my gain. As you stated you knew the original cost and should have corrected her. Perhaps ask for the department manager to verify the actual cost and go from there. Ill-gotten gains never pan out in the long run. Shame on you.

Still shooting DuPont BP marked $2.79. Father always stopped at Graf's when it was a service station that sold guns and dynamite on our way to visit grandparents. If nothing else, he'd buy a pound of black powder "You can't get this back home." Caps the same thing. I kept the old powder & caps tucked away all these years (for no particular reason). Powder shoots just fine. Caps are more "disappointing than devastating".

Onliest "Good deal" recently is a double-cavity .575 mold for $20.50 - old stock on a shelf. Clerk never batted an eye. Most all other shelves were empty of everything.

Never ever accumulate too much shooting stuff. Going through mine I found 1,000 CCI caps bought years ago and totally forgotten about. Thinking I had no caps a while back, when the opportunity came my way, I bought a thousand more RWS caps. Now I have more than I'll use for quite a while. If I hadn't accumulated so much stuff I'd have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow much sooner. Let this be a warning to you.

Truer words where ever spoken. Everytime I open an ammo can, a box, looking through a storage box of stuff I had squirreled away its "Christmas"!

I almost NEVER stumble across anything in my shop that I didn't know I had, particularly anything useful. There ARE a lot of things that I find out that are now "gone for good". But if it wasn't for bad luck I don't guess I'd have any luck at all.

Latest posts

Back