• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Negativity towards Traditions guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use both ends of the spectrum. A very accurate $50 used Connecticut valley arms pistol ( predates CVA ??) and the always talked about Kibler Colonial. One a percussion, one a flint. As long as it is fun and safe I don’t care what it is

I think most of what is said custom v production, flintlock v caplock, etc. is mostly in jest and just ribbing.

Unfortunately that is a concept lost on many today. I own guns of all ilks so it matters not to me and it doesn't bother me other than to amuse me, as the best gun, is the one you have when you want/need it.

There used to be an old saying when I grew up: "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hut me."

Whatever happened to that saying and philosophy puzzles me to this day.

I think most of what is said custom v production, flintlock v caplock, etc. is mostly in jest and just ribbing.

I think it's divisive and fosters animosity. Threads like this come up about every other month and do nothing but make people angry.

If you are complaining on social media you definitely aren't out shooting.

Go shoot, have fun, stop being a Karen.

I AM a flintlock snob....,

but I own three caplock rifles...., one of which was the first black powder rifle I ever owned...,
and one caplock SxS shotgun....,
and six cap-n-ball revolvers...,
and most of my flintlocks (8 of the 10) are factory flintlocks....,

And the number one question on my mind when with other traditional shooter is..."Can you hit what you shoot at?" The rest is aesthetics 😇

LD

You would.

Remember: Sticks and stones...

Repeat that saying and it will ward off the "offensive" things in life for you.

You forget we are both arguing the same point and I'm not the one who has a problem with the guns I own. I'm well versed in "sticks and stones" hanging around you.
Thank you for your reply. :)

AH, people, they say a human is a social animal. Something happened to me, some days can't even stand myself. Younger years I was in associations and gun clubs, and it has always been the same. Ya see, some people have to brag themselves up, because nobody else will. There is nothing wrong with a nice fancy collection of firearms, I like to look at them myself.
In my world it is the meat gettin gun. I wouldn't mind to have a fancy Dan rifle, but would I trade my old CVA for one, NOPE! It would be a better world if snobbery didn't exist, but that is not reality.
In fear of being a snob I can say I have worked old cheap flints and snap cappers that would perform as well as any of the custom jobs.

I've never owned a Traditions gun, nor have I ever bashed them online or criticized someone who owns one. That said, there are a lot of people who really appreciate honest criticism or reviews of different guns, barrels, products, etc.. There may be folks that would be better served with something else and who can afford something else and they end up with a CVA, Traditions, etc. etc. because it was available locally or because their brother in law told them how great they are. Personally, I'd rather know the unfiltered truth, good and bad and I'll make my purchasing decisions based on what's in my wallet at the time and what seems to make the most sense.

For what it's worth, I haven't really seen a ton of "snobbery" here either. The fact that people point out what's hypothetically wrong with this or that doesn't mean that they're turning their nose up at an individual; they may truly be trying to provide a service and to educate. I'm not so thin-skinned that I take it personally if someone criticizes something I've done or a gun I've built (and it has happened, for what it's worth).

I think in the big fat middle of income/net worth there’s a million guys with the same household income, half of which driving 2020 Tahoe’s and shoot Traditions gun’s and the other half drive 1984 Ford Pickups and shoot custom guns. The priorities of more than just ourselves drive most of us. I know from experience the guys out here in farm country with the most money drive 1940 or older Ford tractors and the guys with new overalls and carefully shaped fold in their Co-Op hat’s brim are paying $2500 a month for a brand new one and don’t have two nickels to rub together when the crops come in. But they sure look good when they’re discing the field that runs alongside the road....If you can get it done and still have a buck or two in the bank you’re doing it right, regardless of what it is.

Carbon 6 you really should reserve the KAREN remarks shows shallow intellect, we do not need to be called names when discussing different opinions. We are all in this hobby at our own level, anything I can do to promote the craft I do, never look down a long nose at another persons equipment and never use shallow names to refer to someone. Times are tough and they are going to get a lot tougher.

Carbon 6 you really should reserve the KAREN remarks shows shallow intellect, we do not need to be called names when discussing different opinions. We are all in this hobby at our own level, anything I can do to promote the craft I do, never look down a long nose at another persons equipment and never use shallow names to refer to someone. Times are tough and they are going to get a lot tougher.

The "Karen moniker has been used twice before and the mods saw no objection to it.
I assumed it was socially acceptable.
My apology if you were offended. I will refrain from further use for your benefit.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/4f-powder.122912/post-1686856
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/4f-black-powder-question.121843/post-1674730

We have folks that can lol at a pedi Bess and tell you everything wrong with it. Or can look at a ‘77 charley and tell it instantly from a ‘66 or 63. I can’t, and can’t cough up concern for it. I’m a lot more taken with camp, equipment and clothing then minor problems with a little shape differences.

I had not noticed the use of this prior to this incident but appreciate your understanding for others whom may not know its derogatory implications. Personally I really do not give a D@@@ so do not implicate me for your mis-judgements. I shall consider this now a mute discussion.

I think in the big fat middle of income/net worth there’s a million guys with the same household income, half of which driving 2020 Tahoe’s and shoot Traditions gun’s and the other half drive 1984 Ford Pickups and shoot custom guns. The priorities of more than just ourselves drive most of us. I know from experience the guys out here in farm country with the most money drive 1940 or older Ford tractors and the guys with new overalls and carefully shaped fold in their Co-Op hat’s brim are paying $2500 a month for a brand new one and don’t have two nickels to rub together when the crops come in. But they sure look good when they’re discing the field that runs alongside the road....If you can get it done and still have a buck or two in the bank you’re doing it right, regardless of what it is.

I always get a get laugh at the guy that blew $50,000 on a pickup truck that he can't afford payments on then thinks anyone with a $3000 gun is a show off snob. Double funny when it is a city guy that has never had that truck off the pavement or put anything in the back.

I think we can agree the Traditions guns are lower cost and in some cases use cheaper materials i.e. beech wood stocks, maybe plastics in some areas. I also have a 36 Traditions Shenandoah with the patent style breech that has been a bear to get to fire consistently after the third or 4th shot. I still like the gun and have not given up on it. I have a 32 Deerhunter that is a peach. It is light, short and handy. It doesn't foul easily. I have a couple of others too. All are much more accurate than I can shoot. They may have a heavy trigger in a couple of cases etc. Now, If I thought they were junk, why would I have a bunch? I bought all for bargain prices except the Shenandoah and it was not overly expensive since I traded another gun plus a little cash.

Now, I still would like a Kibler and somewhere along the way a nice fowler/shotgun. I may have them or something similar someday. Traditions are good guns and have helped thousands get a taste of muzzleloading. They are the Mossbergs, Savage and Stevens etc of the muzzleloading world. Functional and effective and reasonably priced. They aren't the Weatherbys, Kimbers and Barretts. Still they have their place. Most of us won't have those high end things, but we will have tons of fun with the ones we can afford.

It seems some of our members don't remember the forum rules like this one:

14: If your post attacks (comments on) the poster, instead of addressing the subject matter, your post will be deleted. If this happens too many times, your account will be deleted.

Using words that some people consider as derogatory is name calling. I consider name calling to be a personal attack.

Got out of blackpowder years ago when my TC got stolen. I met a gent several years ago that is a BP guy and he set the fever in me. Been longrange shooting for years and BP has took me over. Doing research on building my own rifle and found out just how little I know about muzzleloaders. Just love the challenge of learning about my new hobby. Probably get laughed at a lot about some of my choices on my new hobby. HAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back