• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Needing general help with my T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZebUC79

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys. New to the group. My father passed away 6-6-21 and I was left with an old muzzleloader of his. I know absolutely nothing about it. Have never hunted with a muzzleloader or even tried loading one. I’m as much of a beginner as it gets when it comes to these things. But, I was really wanting to try and use it this season in remembrance of my dad. Only problem is, it has a cracked stock and I really want to get something as closely resembled to the original as possible. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction??

serial # is K128845 50 CAL Thompson center. I’ll try and post a picture with it tomorrow if I can. Wife is already asleep and gun cabinet is in our bedroom.

Thanks in advance!

You have a T/C .50 cal kit gun. Stocks are available in the classifieds here from time to time. It also might be possible to repair it.
Someone close to with experience could be helpful

Only problem is, it has a cracked stock
A crack that goes through the lock screw hole is pretty common, so for the moment, I’ll guess that’s your problem, pending photographs. Below it what I do to both repair cracked stocks and as a preventive action.

I put an insert or nut in the trigger mortise to accept a machine screw, epoxying the insert or nut in place. I have modified a number of older TC stocks with threaded inserts to reduce the chance of cracking a stock. Here are some photographs showing my process. Still allows use of the old trigger plate and you don’t have to drill and tap the trigger guard.
1635566132774.jpeg
1635566149788.jpeg
1635566165360.jpeg

There are stock repair methods using epoxy that are excellent. You can do this yourself
and preserve the wood your Dad held onto. Once repaired the stock is as strong
as before. There are a few cracks that are more difficult. Sorry to hear about your
Father's passing. Let us know about your repair or replacement progress. That gun
is very easy to load and shoot- dozens of videos free on-line and much good info
here on the forum. Thanks for sharing your repair needs. NOTE- while I was posting
SDSmlf uploaded a valuable repair method for some cracks. Upload some photos
and closeups. You will get good guidance on it.

Here are pics of the gun and also pics of the two places where it is cracked.

Attachments

• 64D335A3-4D2E-4DE4-AA83-3F19A7E1BE14.jpeg
    64D335A3-4D2E-4DE4-AA83-3F19A7E1BE14.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 953FA25C-D8F3-4124-864F-89911B9E34B6.jpeg
    953FA25C-D8F3-4124-864F-89911B9E34B6.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 8CF7FFF1-9096-4CB9-96FE-1B249A410755.jpeg
    8CF7FFF1-9096-4CB9-96FE-1B249A410755.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 211
  • F9F0B3CC-309A-4CEC-BD6D-D11D8E278763.jpeg
    F9F0B3CC-309A-4CEC-BD6D-D11D8E278763.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 186
It looks like it could be glue repaired, but that is depending only on what I see in the close ups. The other views are too dark to determine a true value of the issue. I suggest you have someone skilled in stock repair look at it to make a determination on which way to go. A skilled stock crack repair person needs to repair this. What limited view I have seems like the stock may not need to be replaced.
Good luck
Larry

Disassemble the rifle and examine it from the inside. I think it is repairable.
That is from only seeing the exterior. The easy fix is another stock.
Was it dropped from a treestand? Possibly? Just wondering.

Disassemble the rifle and examine it from the inside. I think it is repairable.
That is from only seeing the exterior. The easy fix is another stock.
Was it dropped from a treestand? Possibly? Just wondering.
Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe but no clue.

Zeb, if it were me I would figure out how to fix it or have it fixed rather than replace the stock. Why? This is a kit gun. It is probably something your dad made/put together and used. There is no replacing that.

My dad is still alive, but every big game hunt I bring along the hunting knife he bought when he was 18. It is a way to have him with me on the hunt and it was very well used in his hands before I got it.

But, I was really wanting to try and use it this season in remembrance
It's too late to use it "this season" for "remembrance" properly, and that's ok.
Do it next season, take some time to reflect now, then spend the time to learn and prepare for next year.
Learning, and having a successful harvest may mean more,,,,,,,,,,

I agree with Larry

It looks like it could be glue repaired, but that is depending only on what I see in the close ups. The other views are too dark to determine a true value of the issue. I suggest you have someone skilled in stock repair look at it to make a determination on which way to go. A skilled stock crack repair person needs to repair this. What limited view I have seems like the stock may not need to be replaced.
Good luck
Larry

I have repaired hundreds of cracked stocks. Accra Glass died to match worked in and wrap with surgical tubing or strips of inner tube. If room from inside for a screw I run brazing rod through a die with a drill to thread and drill the wood so it can be spun in.
If wrapped tight, after clean up, you will not see the crack.

I've used gel wood glue and brass pins to repair both splits and breaks on wooden stocks over the last 30 years, I haven't had to redo any yet

Here are pics of the gun and also pics of the two places where it is cracked.
Are there multiple cracks on the left side of the stock?. I added some yellow arrows to your photograph pointing to what I’m referring to. May just be lighting in your photo. Does the obvious crack go all the way through to the lock mortise? Someone thought there may have been a previous repair, can you tell if that’s correct? As long as any previous repairs that failed/opened up weren’t done with glue, you should be good to go with something like Acraglas. Typically wood glues don’t adhere well to themselves if repair fails and you try to re-glue, while Acraglas for example, is designed to adhere to itself.
1635718858355.jpeg

I was really wanting to try and use it this season in remembrance of my dad.
It's too late to use it "this season" for "remembrance" properly, and that's ok.
Might be too late for a proper repair, but you could possibly make a period correct (think 1970s or 1980s when TC made the gun) temporary repair with some well placed electrical tape, maybe with a roll of tape from your father’s tool box or work bench? You would have to be careful using the gun, with no heavy charges or tight loading bullets, but it could get you hunting this year with your father’s gun. The adhesive from the tape will likely gum up the stock finish, but any proper repair will likely require a stock refinishing anyway, and I wouldn’t worry about it.

You may want to first clean the crack of all oil and finish. Use accra-glass, not glue. For a real tight spot, find a diabetic and ask for a used syringe, put some accra-glass in it and use it quick as the accra-glass will solidify. Use heavy rubber bands or bycycle tubing to hold stock together while accra-glass hardens. SDSmlf has a great idea to re-enforce the area. T/C's cracked in this area with hot loads . T/C did replace the cracked stocks, but that was long ago. Later T/C's had tang through bolts through the wrist area from front tang hole through trigger group and into the front of the trigger guard. To do this today you need to buy a target trigger group from TOTW and drill and tap your existing trigger guard-AT AN ANGLE. You can also bed the tang and breech plug and barrel to help make the area stronger. Sounds tougher than it is. Just time consuming is all. Good luck.
Bob
PS If you get another stock, it too may crack with hot loads if not prepped. Use a patched round ball with a lighter load and you should be good to go. Don't use conicals with hot loads of powder. yonderin has a good idea using wire. World War II English bolt guns that were used for launching grenades were wrapped with wire in the wrist area. Drilling holes for brass screws and filing off the heads is also a good idea and is widely used.

Last edited:
Back