• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Needed 1st range trip supplies for a percussion rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some ranges will not allow you to load from the can or from a flask/horn. They are afraid of an accidental detonation of a large amount of powder. The solution is loading tubes you can buy from numerous sources. Mine are plastic, hold up to 150grs and fit nicely in a MTM R-50 Series magnum rifle box.

At the range I find loading from the tubes to be much easier and quicker than from the flask. Some of my local ranges are a bit dark at the firing line so the tubes are great.

By the way, Flint is way better than caps!

An advantage to your way, it is easier to keep up with if you powder down the barrel.

I see guys at my range back the truck up and unload a chest big enough to hide inside to go with their one rifle. Not my way of doing it. To each his own. I am a hunter, my range time is practice for hunting. When in the woods, ain't much open country here in Maine, if it isn't in my possibles bag I don't need it. That's how I go to the range, I shoot out of the bag. If I get there and I don't have something I need, I get to drive home with a lesson learned. A lot of the lists above are good advice. Trial and error will tell you what you need.

Ditto. I shoot "out of the bag". I have a bag and horn or flask for each gun ready to grab and go.

Some ranges will not allow you to load from the can or from a flask/horn. They are afraid of an accidental detonation of a large amount of powder. The solution is loading tubes you can buy from numerous sources. Mine are plastic, hold up to 150grs and fit nicely in a MTM R-50 Series magnum rifle box.

At the range I find loading from the tubes to be much easier and quicker than from the flask. Some of my local ranges are a bit dark at the firing line so the tubes are great.

By the way, Flint is way better than caps!
I make my loading tubes from shotgun shells work great use a 1/2 dowel for a plug

Patches in various thicknesses both dry and lubed. Small pair of cheap binoculars. Extra ear plugs.

Not a bad little video example with good simple instructions for beginners. Do you have the follow up video for cleaning?
This one is several years old using a "pinned" barrel flint gun. I need to film one using a wedged barrel gun but haven't yet. Cleaning videos are tough to avoid criticism because everyone cleans their guns differently.
Here it is using simple materials:

Indeed @B P Maniac Shooter, as one of the senior privates in the Grenadier Company, I am often tasked with conducting the cleaning the musket session at our schooling days. Every one has a different process that they claim is the best and anyone using s different method is just wasting ones time. I think its that way here on the Forum too. What I have learned is that there are many good ways to clean a muzzle loader. If the way you like gets the muzzle loader clean and there is no build up of rust, then its all good. Another observation is that reenactors may have a musket that appears clean, but is a sewer pipe in the barrel. At one event, I put a damp cleaning patch on my jag and the cleaning patch basically slid to the breech on its own weight. One of the other privates had to basically hammer the same patch down the barrel. Took about an hour to get that musket clean with steel wool patching and a lot of scrubbing.

Indeed @B P Maniac Shooter, as one of the senior privates in the Grenadier Company, I am often tasked with conducting the cleaning the musket session at our schooling days. Every one has a different process that they claim is the best and anyone using s different method is just wasting ones time. I think its that way here on the Forum too. What I have learned is that there are many good ways to clean a muzzle loader. If the way you like gets the muzzle loader clean and there is no build up of rust, then its all good. Another observation is that reenactors may have a musket that appears clean, but is a sewer pipe in the barrel. At one event, I put a damp cleaning patch on my jag and the cleaning patch basically slid to the breech on its own weight. One of the other privates had to basically hammer the same patch down the barrel. Took about an hour to get that musket clean with steel wool patching and a lot of scrubbing.
WOW.....I agree. The "How To" videos are the ones I really have to be careful filming and posting. The most recent one "How to get Started in Muzzleloading" was changed 5-7 times before getting it ready to post. I ran it past a friend to get his opinion and he suggested things I haven't thought of....I changed it & it worked out better.

The often get criticism because of what you're said. Everyone does them different. What I've learned is.....I've watched several different cleaning videos and "developed" my own method. It works for me & that's what counts.

Back