• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need vendor/maker for powder chargers - antler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradBrownBess

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Anyone know a maker of antler powder chargers?
Need a few sizes.

Turned wood are nice too - I have seen a few period stained with copper/brass rings.

**I have tried to make my own on a few old antler tips but they are just not big enough - I drilled through the side.

I got a hardwood broom or mop handle. I cut it to a length I thought it needed and drilled it out til I got the hole big enough to hold the measured amount of 3f powder that I required. Made them from 15 to 70 grns. Shaped the bases on a small belt sander. Easy but time consuming.

Powder measures - I have always used the adjustable brass measure and it works fine - wanted to get 3 antler measures 50, 75, and 110. I found a maker - I like his horn measures and he will make a 110 gr for me - they are folky carved and $15 each. I'll see how I like them. I will just loop them together to tie on my shooting bag.

I made these for fun while I was at work. I had an on-call job and made these to pass time between calls. They aren't hard to make and you can drill all the way through. They come out around 90-100gr. at the corner of the mouth.

DSCF1668.JPG

I tried the small tip pieces also, but they never held enough, and were hard to hold when doing the decorating. We had a machine shop. So I turned a 3/8" stud on pieces of broom handle and epoxied them to the antler. Then I could clamp the broom handle in the vise to polish and shape the antler. Shaping the tail was last. Then I could sit in the break room and do the scratching. I don't think I ever made one that International Paper didn't pay me to make. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back