• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need to know the REAL deal on Colt 2nd Generations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John V.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to invest in a Colt 1851 Navy 2nd Generation. I am confused though between the C series and the F series. Which one is MORE/TRUE Colt?

According to the "Third Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values" by John Allen the first "Second Generation" guns Colt offered as the "C" series were introduced in 1971 (1851 Navy) and 1974 (Third Model Dragoon). Production continued thru 1976. They both were produced in the Colt factory using castings that were made in Italy.

The "C" series has a bright "Royal Blue" finish while the "F" series has a dark bluing typical of other Colt pistols. Like the originals, most but not all have the backstrap and trigger guard silver plated.
The C series 1851 was made in several different styles and editions, many with the square backed trigger guard and about 100 with the later model round trigger guard.

The serial numbers for the C series 1851's is 4201 to 25099.

The "F" series was made 1978 thru 1982, also at the Colt factory. As I mentioned, they have a dark blue finish.
The "F" series added the 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, 1862 Pocket Police, Walker, 1st Model Dragoon, 2nd Model Dragoon, 3rd Model Dragoon and the .31 caliber Baby Dragoon.

As I said, these Second Generation guns were all made at the Colt factory in Hartford, Ct.
The 3rd Generation Colt pistols were made by a Colt approved subcontractor known as the "Colt Blackpowder Arms Co." and are known as the "Signature Series".
Although they are officially Colt pistols and were inspected by Colt inspectors they usually bring a lower price than the C or the F series Second Generation pistols.

If I was to guess at which of the two series was most correct I would say the F series. The bluing is more like the originals.

All that I would add is original Colts had gain twist rifling and the newer ones ( Italy raw parts ) have standard twist rifling. Investment value is on unfired in the box pistols.

I had thought all of these were Uberti parts that were fitted and finished by Colt?
The information I have says the un-machined castings were the only Italian parts used and they were totally machined by Colt.

The barrel and cylinder are made from bar stock as is the trigger and other small parts so they would not have been Italian parts.

There's a lot of confusion, just like the Colt "Signature Series" 1863 Special Contract rifle muskets that were basically Pedersolis.

What is the s/n range for the "F" series? I have an 1860 Army with a brass non plated trigger guard, s/n 205xxx.

The F series 1860 Army serial number range started at 201000 and went up to 212835 according to author and researcher Dennis Adler. Number 205xxx is on the lower end so would guess that 1860 Army was made about 1979.

Per Colt.com serial number lookup ( https://colt.com/serial-lookup ) several 1860 Army 2nd Generation numbers were tried and are not available. The lookup records are not complete and do have some errors.

All that I would add is original Colts had gain twist rifling and the newer ones ( Italy raw parts ) have standard twist rifling. Investment value is on unfired in the box pistols.

I guess I misspoke when I indicated "invest" in a 1851. I plan on shooting it some. It is more fun than just looking at it in the box. Just thought I should clarify. Thanks all for the input you have helped a lot.

Back