• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need to get some questions answered on a potential rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at that sellers rifle back in November and it is a beautiful piece no doubt however I didn't know it's worth either at the time so I passed up on it. Someone on the forum could shed some light on this as there are many Mike Roby rifles on Gunbroker for sale. I doubt that they are rare though due to how many I've seen sell since November of 2021 ( I've counted 17 between Gunbroker and Guns International ). I've seen them sell at the lowest in 8/10 condition for $400 and the most at 8/10 for $2,300 ( In .62 Caliber I might add). Good luck if you don't plan on buying that rifle though due to the price I'd suggest looking here on the forum for a used Kibler Colonial or if you need to see it in person go over to Easton and look up Doug Strauss I will PM is info he has some older flintlock rifles in stock usually that you could look at if the deal falls through.
If anyone has a Roby for sale for $400, contact me, I'll take it.

Look at some others with known builders, performance and cost. Get a feel for the market before spending your money. Establish a basis for comparison.

Don't feel obligated to buy the first thing that comes up for sale. Looking is part of the fun.

I would not buy any handmade rife without taking it apart and examining the quality of the work. For instance, It could have been made by John Browning himself but if somebody came after and messed it up that changes things.

I have recently joined the forum and have found a rifle for sale through the father of a friend of mine. There is an older gentleman he is acquainted with who is selling a rifle from his collection. The information the seller gave me was that the rifle is a 46" Barrel, Siler Lock, 1/56 Twist, .50 caliber Flintlock Rifle. I went and looked at it in person today and it is in decent condition the brass of course is not as bright as day one but the rifle was built in May of 1980 (maker unknown but he says it was engraved by an artist named Mike Roby). The rifle was apparently made as a sister rifle to 3 others. That being said I have no pictures as the seller didn't want them ending up on the internet as someone posing as him trying to sell the rifle. To me it looks in fair condition for a rifle made in 1980, I'd say it is a 7.5/10 due to the fact of age and just general use. He wanted $2,000 I got him down to $1,800. Is something like this rifle even worth that kind of money. I know flintlocks can be expensive but am I drastically overpaying from something that is only worth say $500 at most. I know I'm just getting into Muzzleloading but I want a rifle that I can buy and stick with. After shooting with @SmoothboreMurph the longer rifles fit me better and this particular rifle holds very well and fits comfortably to me, unlike some production models I've handled. I just want to get some opinions on the price or if anyone has heard of Mike Roby if any of his rifles are worth money like what the seller is asking for. I think it is nice but I can't find any information on Mike Roby on the internet so I'm at an impasse. Thanks to all who reply as all replies are useful. I just don't want to overpay for something not worth the money and get had.
The value of a rifle consists of the quality of the parts and the fit of the furniture. Here in Pennsylvania we have some outstanding contemporary builders who spend time on their builds finishing the edges, making smooth transition from wood to furniture, and creating a fine shooting weapon. Throughout the contemporary rifle making world there are numerous craftsman, Mike Roby being one of them. IMHO, the only way to end up with a quality rifle is to go to a muzzle loading shop and look at different builders works, and if possible meet the builder. These rifles should be an investment in quality.

I think we went through this a couple of years ago. There was a seller pretending to have some of Mike's rifles. I've worked/trained with Mike every week for the last five years. I list his rifles and mine, here and on gunbroker at various times. If you see a seller with multiple rifles worked on or built by Mike, very likely it's my account. AZ Muzzleloaders here, on Americanlongrifles.org, and Gunbroker. No one has come to my house and I refused to let them photograph. That's the imposter. If you have any questions about Mike's or my rifles, you know how to get ahold of me.
Thanks
Dave

Woo Dorker no makie frint rock
IMG9518421.jpg

Back