• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need to get some questions answered on a potential rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently joined the forum and have found a rifle for sale through the father of a friend of mine. There is an older gentleman he is acquainted with who is selling a rifle from his collection. The information the seller gave me was that the rifle is a 46" Barrel, Siler Lock, 1/56 Twist, .50 caliber Flintlock Rifle. I went and looked at it in person today and it is in decent condition the brass of course is not as bright as day one but the rifle was built in May of 1980 (maker unknown but he says it was engraved by an artist named Mike Roby). The rifle was apparently made as a sister rifle to 3 others. That being said I have no pictures as the seller didn't want them ending up on the internet as someone posing as him trying to sell the rifle. To me it looks in fair condition for a rifle made in 1980, I'd say it is a 7.5/10 due to the fact of age and just general use. He wanted $2,000 I got him down to $1,800. Is something like this rifle even worth that kind of money. I know flintlocks can be expensive but am I drastically overpaying from something that is only worth say $500 at most. I know I'm just getting into Muzzleloading but I want a rifle that I can buy and stick with. After shooting with @SmoothboreMurph the longer rifles fit me better and this particular rifle holds very well and fits comfortably to me, unlike some production models I've handled. I just want to get some opinions on the price or if anyone has heard of Mike Roby if any of his rifles are worth money like what the seller is asking for. I think it is nice but I can't find any information on Mike Roby on the internet so I'm at an impasse. Thanks to all who reply as all replies are useful. I just don't want to overpay for something not worth the money and get had.

It’s hard to say with out seeing the piece, it does sound a mite high to me but it’s a custom barrel and no doubt fine work, since it is all custom.
The price is not out of the ball park if we’ll done and we’ll cared for

I have recently joined the forum and have found a rifle for sale through the father of a friend of mine. There is an older gentleman he is acquainted with who is selling a rifle from his collection. The information the seller gave me was that the rifle is a 46" Barrel, Siler Lock, 1/56 Twist, .50 caliber Flintlock Rifle. I went and looked at it in person today and it is in decent condition the brass of course is not as bright as day one but the rifle was built in May of 1980 (maker unknown but he says it was engraved by an artist named Mike Roby). The rifle was apparently made as a sister rifle to 3 others. That being said I have no pictures as the seller didn't want them ending up on the internet as someone posing as him trying to sell the rifle. To me it looks in fair condition for a rifle made in 1980, I'd say it is a 7.5/10 due to the fact of age and just general use. He wanted $2,000 I got him down to $1,800. Is something like this rifle even worth that kind of money. I know flintlocks can be expensive but am I drastically overpaying from something that is only worth say $500 at most. I know I'm just getting into Muzzleloading but I want a rifle that I can buy and stick with. After shooting with @SmoothboreMurph the longer rifles fit me better and this particular rifle holds very well and fits comfortably to me, unlike some production models I've handled. I just want to get some opinions on the price or if anyone has heard of Mike Roby if any of his rifles are worth money like what the seller is asking for. I think it is nice but I can't find any information on Mike Roby on the internet so I'm at an impasse. Thanks to all who reply as all replies are useful. I just don't want to overpay for something not worth the money and get had.
I looked at that sellers rifle back in November and it is a beautiful piece no doubt however I didn't know it's worth either at the time so I passed up on it. Someone on the forum could shed some light on this as there are many Mike Roby rifles on Gunbroker for sale. I doubt that they are rare though due to how many I've seen sell since November of 2021 ( I've counted 17 between Gunbroker and Guns International ). I've seen them sell at the lowest in 8/10 condition for $400 and the most at 8/10 for $2,300 ( In .62 Caliber I might add). Good luck if you don't plan on buying that rifle though due to the price I'd suggest looking here on the forum for a used Kibler Colonial or if you need to see it in person go over to Easton and look up Doug Strauss I will PM is info he has some older flintlock rifles in stock usually that you could look at if the deal falls through.

I looked at that sellers rifle back in November and it is a beautiful piece no doubt however I didn't know it's worth either at the time so I passed up on it. Someone on the forum could shed some light on this as there are many Mike Roby rifles on Gunbroker for sale. I doubt that they are rare though due to how many I've seen sell since November of 2021 ( I've counted 17 between Gunbroker and Guns International ). I've seen them sell at the lowest in 8/10 condition for $400 and the most at 8/10 for $2,300 ( In .62 Caliber I might add). Good luck if you don't plan on buying that rifle though due to the price I'd suggest looking here on the forum for a used Kibler Colonial or if you need to see it in person go over to Easton and look up Doug Strauss I will PM is info he has some older flintlock rifles in stock usually that you could look at if the deal falls through.
Thanks for the info I will look him up if this deal doesn't work out.

Without photos including some close ups it's difficult to give a value. The total worth of a rifle is dependent on two things; the quality of the parts and the quality of the work assembling them. It sounds like the parts are very good quality the quality of the inletting and the detail work might be the biggest factor here and that's where I would focus most of my attention (considering the condition of the lock and bore beforehand).

That being said I have no pictures as the seller didn't want them ending up on the internet as someone posing as him trying to sell the rifle.
Without photographs it is hard to put a value on if. From description, wouldn’t pay more than $200 or so for. Just too difficult to trust people today. Plus I am not in the market for a gun at the moment. With photographs and/or the gun in hand, $1800 or $2000 might not be a bad deal. But with no photographs…..

The 46" barrel would lower the value for me. It will be muzzle heavy. You say Roby "might" have engraved it, but who built it. Is the barrel signed and swamped? There are plenty of rifles for sale in that price category with pictures available. An unsigned rifle in fair condition with a long barrel from the 80s wouldn't be my first choice. Rifles from the 80s by big name builders like John Bivins, Monte Mandarino, Jim Chambers, Larry Mrock, Dennis Mulford, and many others will hold their value , but others might just be worth the parts.

Last edited:
I know Mike Roby, I have three or four of his works. Excellent maker and woo dorker.
I don't know if he was building back in 1980, but I believe you said engraved by him. He also does great engraving .
Would like to see pictures and learn a bit more about the rifle

I know Mike Roby, I have three or four of his works. Excellent maker and woo dorker.
I don't know if he was building back in 1980, but I believe you said engraved by him. He also does great engraving .
Would like to see pictures and learn a bit more about the rifle
What is a woo dorker??? [too funny]

Whats the architecture, Lancaster, Lehigh, Bucks, other? What other guns are similar to it in appearance Rupp, Beck, Dickert, other? You really need to show a picture of the gun, or another gun that makes you say, 'Aha thats it'!!!!
Deductively I think anyone that makes a long rifle nice enough to be worth of paying someone to engrave it has probably made a well crafted rifle. You could be buying something made by a know artisan and be getting a real deal, you could be buying a pig in a poke, you could be buying something in between.
You have homework to do.
Robby

WOO DORKER-well know famous chinese rifle builder of great skill. Seriously need pictures, to even begin on a fair price. as too the barrel length is it a swamped barrel, would make shooting it better, but a barrel of that length would be tough hunting in thicker areas. According to your post you shot with Smoothbore Murph and he replied it looked good to him. it would seem to me the parts cost alone could come in around 1000.00 dollars just a (S.W.A.G.) THEN THE ADDED COST OF THE BUILDER THEN AT LEAST A 2-3 YEAR WIT ON BUILD TIME. post some pics and you will find the answer to your questions. If me and I wanted the gun, I would lay out 12 brand new 100-dollar bills on the table and keep three in reserve for dickering with.

Mike Roby is a Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA) Artist working in Arizona. There’s a seller on Gun Broker who is currently studying under him. He’s also a member of this forum. In addition to building guns, he goes to events like Shooting Matches and Rendezvous. He buys, sells, and trades guns, often from someone getting out of it due to age, illness, etc., or from their widow. He offers antique, custom, and production arms.

I’ve purchased two rifles from him. His prices on custom guns could be considered high by some but not any more than the Gun Works which is about 20 miles from my house.

Keep in mind that with the rising costs of everything, the fee for custom work will increase. Kibler just sent an email indicating that they too must, unfortunately, adjust their prices. I recently spoke with Jack Garner, and he concurred that things are going up.

Thanks!

Walt

Impossible question to answer just based on a description. I'd definitely want more, lots more, specific information before I'd bite.

You don't ride a horse's head. Get him to take you out and let you shoot a bunch of targets to see how accurate it is? It might be nice to look at but a bad shooter. If you can find a gunsmith that knows something about MLs., have him check out the bore, hairline cracks in the stock, etc. Good luck. FP

There are many questions to ask and without photos no way to judge. I have a rifle in the shop right now that needed a lock fitted and a vent liner. The inlays and engraving are good though in places the engraving is way over done. The stock shaping sucks. But it will work when it leaves here. So without photos and an idea of the condition of the bore it’s hard to say. The brass not being polished is completely irrelevant. A good, properly done rifle with a good lock (Silers are good) and good bore is worth 2000 without the engraving. A gun with engraving may be worth a lot less, depending.

Back