• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need to cut Dovetail...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
...for front sight on late model Pietta 1858 NMA. Looking for BP gunsmith in western or central NY to cut dovetail and provide narrow blade front sight. POI is about 4" left at 50' with center hold (7" sight radius). Have other NMAs that shoot to POA.

If there are other ways to fix this, I'm willing to listen.

No longer trust myself to do a good job as I have a hand tremor.

Mods: move if posted in wrong place.

Yes, Small Jewelers file or very fine diamond file. To move your group to the right open up rear sight on right.Option #2 tap front sight to left with a small hammer. Option #3 Chuck rear of barrel in vice "Tap" with dead blow hammer front of barrel to right...A little goes a long way. These are best done at the range checking changing POI as you go...c

It's not possible to move a Pietta Remington sight but you can break it off by tapping. Buy a Uberti Remington front sight and dovetail that in place. Uberti Remington sights and loading lever latches are dovetailed in.

It's not possible to move a Pietta Remington sight but you can break it off by tapping. Buy a Uberti Remington front sight and dovetail that in place. Uberti Remington sights and loading lever latches are dovetailed in.

I have put the Uberti front sight for a '58 on my 1851 and it is much more enjoyable to shoot. All it took was a little filing using a dovetail file guide.

If you use this jig, your hand tremor won't matter. I am in my seventies and have arthritis and hand shake and if I can do it, so can you. Get to it, time's a wasting.

https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=185_19&product_id=26069

That's a neat little tool - a real upgrade from the way I've always hand cut female dovetails via measuring then making multiple hacksaw cuts across the barrel that I hand file away by eye.

Dovetails%20003.jpg

It sounds like the OP does not want to screw up the dovetail and he wants a professional job done on his pistol. My suggestion for him is to look up a gunsmith that is willing to do the work - there are many, but you might have to send it out which isn't an issue either. BP revolver frames can be sent via UPS, FEDEX or USPS as metal parts no need for an FFL dealer to get involved.

Back