• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need suggestions on which revolvers to buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy shooting my Colt and Remington replicas but when it comes to serious targets/match shooting, loading up hunting loads and quality you can’t go wrong with adding a Ruger OA to your mix. I’ve never gotten the accuracy and reliability from a replica that I do with my OA.

Either buy a Dragoon or buy a pocket model like a baby Dragoon, pocket Navy or Pocket Police.

Other options are buying confederate reproductions like a Dance Brothers, Griswold and Gunnison & Spiller and Burr etc.

Like someone already stated, brass framed guns are awesome to learn on. I just bought one to test out installing a cap rake on. I’ll probably buy another to refine my process before moving onto my steel frame guns. Also, if you enjoy Brassers, then keep them. Ignore the haters.

Either buy a Dragoon or buy a pocket model like a baby Dragoon, pocket Navy or Pocket Police.

Other options are buying confederate reproductions like a Dance Brothers, Griswold and Gunnison & Spiller and Burr etc.

Like someone already stated, brass framed guns are awesome to learn on. I just bought one to test out installing a cap rake on. I’ll probably buy another to refine my process before moving onto my steel frame guns. Also, if you enjoy Brassers, then keep them. Ignore the haters.
I will most likely add Brassers to my collection :)

If you kinda screw up a little experimenting with a Brasser you could just live with it , and still blast away with it . If you really balls it up , you're out a $200 gun not a $450 Walker or something.

I'm thinking of snubbing two of my .36 brassers , because, why not. A pair of "Avenging Angel" hideout guns.

I always keep an eye out at gun shows for old , beat up brassers. Sometimes you can find them still tight, but just well used for 50 bucks. But most of the older brassers have softer frames. Plus most are stretched and beat because some guy 40 years ago thought it was "just a cheap brasser" too

Last edited:
Not too bad actually. I use a small plastic hammer. Or you can load it off the gun with one of the cylinder loading stands. I was really surprised by the accuracy. It will hit normal size tin cans at 30yds pretty regular. If interested in one PM me.

First off, I would cull the herd and get rid of all the brass-framed guns.
Reinvest the money in one or more steel guns and accessories. With the worldwide manufacturing crisis and shortages, you are not going to have a lot of options on new guns for several years. A steel framed 1851 or 1861 Navy is never a mistake, and should not be too hard to come by for a little while longer.
Pick guns that have the best resale value that you can be happy with.
That rules out brassers and oddballs.
No i actually prefer the brass look. Ive shot 30-40 grains in my brass 1851 navy fir 2 years thousands of rounds every weekend. Gun doesnt stretch. I fixed the main cause of thst by making sure the arbor/cylinder to cone gap was as short as possible.

Never issues on my remingtons either.

Brass is pretty too imo.

Also nice pics of thise brass navy with the steel cylinders and barrel.. Ive been curious what itd look like eith the bluing gone. I actually put my polisjed steel barrel and cylinder on my brass.. and its veey sleek looking.

Been debating on actually getting a engraved nickle 1851. And swapping the blued barrel and cylinder on my engraved brass for the nickle one. Would look pretty sweet i think.

I've been shooting a brass frame pietta 1851 for the last 12 years. I don't load more than 25 grains and usually it is 20. I have seen no evidence of stretching.
I stay around 20 gr with my brassers. I have a ton of 1f and I was going to try 30 gr of 1f in my .44 brassers , I feel the slower burn will be gentle enough on the frame and it will give a satisfying boom. I can't do the light 10 or 12 grain charges with cornmeal filler and all that, it feels like I'm shooting a pop gun. I know the 1f will be dirtier but it's worth experimenting with if I can get a couple cylinders in before I have to break it down to wipe it out.

No i actually prefer the brass look. Ive shot 30-40 grains in my brass 1851 navy fir 2 years thousands of rounds every weekend. Gun doesnt stretch. I fixed the main cause of thst by making sure the arbor/cylinder to cone gap was as short as possible.

Never issues on my remingtons either.

Brass is pretty too imo.

Also nice pics of thise brass navy with the steel cylinders and barrel.. Ive been curious what itd look like eith the bluing gone. I actually put my polisjed steel barrel and cylinder on my brass.. and its veey sleek looking.

Been debating on actually getting a engraved nickle 1851. And swapping the blued barrel and cylinder on my engraved brass for the nickle one. Would look pretty sweet i think.
I'm weird in that I don't really like the fresh, shiny brass and blue, but I love the gunmetal and tarnished brass look. The wood grips just pull it all together and make for nice looking guns, to me.

I have 1 brasser. Might be my most accurate cap and ball pistol. Shoots so good I got it the Goons treatment!

I recently got a Dragoon to go with my Walker, they’re a lot of fun.
So is that brass Remmy Buffler gun.
Tall front sight and adjustable rear makes for long distance fun too

Soo.. im at a crossroads now. For the last 2 weeks ive been going back and forth on which cap n ball to buy.

I have 8 already.

1. ASM 1847 walker

2. 1858 remington brass in 5.5 and 8 inch barrels.

3. 4x 1851 navy. 1x normal brass in 44, 1x normal steel in 44, 1x 36 polished steel, and most recent a brass Deluxe engraved 44.

4. 1860 polished steel.

I am debating right now between 4.

The 1858 deluxe engraved 8 inch, the 1858 Bison 12 inch brass, or the 1851 deluxe steel with the white ivory grips. Or a Dragoon. Not sure which Gen. Probly gen 2 or 1 i like the trigger guard look better.

Soo. I dont have a dragoon.. The engraved ones are just purty. And i actually do carry my cap n balls sometimes so the ivory engraved 51 would be very nice.

The bison though seems to be the one thats the hardest to get. I rarely see them in stock. I just wish it wasnt brass as i have two 1858 brass already.

I dunno what do you guys think ? Im kinda leaning to the bison. Would be nice conversation peice at the range for sure. Although any cap n ball usually is.
Dragoons are beautiful. But they are way too heavy.

Dragoons are beautiful. But they are way too heavy.
It's a Colt Navy on steroids, I love them.

Bigger gun, bigger boom, putting big .44 holes in stuff.

Luckily we have vehicles to transport these hand cannons to the range and we don't have to walk around carrying them.

My Colt 2nd Gen Dragoon has a mainspring that seems like it used to be a leaf spring for a truck, but there's no cap that it won't pop . I need my big boy muscles to shoot that 5lb piece with the probably 20lb hammer draw.

My Dragoons have a 3 lb. Hammer draw 😄. Cap guns get 4lbs. Shooting shouldn't take so much work!! 🤣

Mike

It's a Colt Navy on steroids, I love them.

Bigger gun, bigger boom, putting big .44 holes in stuff.

Luckily we have vehicles to transport these hand cannons to the range and we don't have to walk around carrying them.

My Colt 2nd Gen Dragoon has a mainspring that seems like it used to be a leaf spring for a truck, but there's no cap that it won't pop . I need my big boy muscles to shoot that 5lb piece with the probably 20lb hammer draw.
My Navy Colt on steroids is a brass-framed Pietta reproduction in 44 caliber. It only weighs two and a half pounds. And handles and shoots quite well with 20 grains of powder and a. 454 ball.

Latest posts

Back