• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need suggestions on which revolvers to buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candymancan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Soo.. im at a crossroads now. For the last 2 weeks ive been going back and forth on which cap n ball to buy.

I have 8 already.

1. ASM 1847 walker

2. 1858 remington brass in 5.5 and 8 inch barrels.

3. 4x 1851 navy. 1x normal brass in 44, 1x normal steel in 44, 1x 36 polished steel, and most recent a brass Deluxe engraved 44.

4. 1860 polished steel.

I am debating right now between 4.

The 1858 deluxe engraved 8 inch, the 1858 Bison 12 inch brass, or the 1851 deluxe steel with the white ivory grips. Or a Dragoon. Not sure which Gen. Probly gen 2 or 1 i like the trigger guard look better.

Soo. I dont have a dragoon.. The engraved ones are just purty. And i actually do carry my cap n balls sometimes so the ivory engraved 51 would be very nice.

The bison though seems to be the one thats the hardest to get. I rarely see them in stock. I just wish it wasnt brass as i have two 1858 brass already.

I dunno what do you guys think ? Im kinda leaning to the bison. Would be nice conversation peice at the range for sure. Although any cap n ball usually is.

The local black powder shop has a blued steel Bison. So far, I've resisted. Ive handled it, and it has way better balance than i wouldve thought. Nice revolver, it would make a great primary hunting gun with conicals. Maybe snag one of those?

You can't have too many of the Horse Pistols.

What Stantheman said!!

I prefer reproductions of real firearms, not the fantasy guns. No offense to you, Candyman, but I don't care for the many 1851 "reproductions" in .44 or with brass frames. Technically there were 1851s in brass (the Confederate-made clones such as the Schneider & Glassick) but these were much more rare than their availability in today's reproduction market would suggest.

Soooooo, to respond to the original question - I would select a Dragoon for my next purchase. Then be sure to make room in your display case to fit all four Dragoon models, 'cause you will need to have them, too. Then you'll want to have representative examples of all the pocket models, the London models, Piettas and Ubertis, etc. You'll also need at least two of each model, one for your display case and one to shoot. In short, my Friend, you can't stop at one - it just ain't American.

I plan on trying to get every model gun one day but i dont care if brass isnt authentic.. im not running a museum of firearms. I shoot them all, and i think they pretty to look at etc lol.

Id prefer the stainless bison 1858.. but it seems no one sells them or the regular steel but old south firearms.. and nearly everything there is out of stock.

So i guess now its a tear between the bison and dragoon now

What Stantheman said!!

I prefer reproductions of real firearms, not the fantasy guns. No offense to you, Candyman, but I don't care for the many 1851 "reproductions" in .44 or with brass frames. Technically there were 1851s in brass (the Confederate-made clones such as the Schneider & Glassick) but these were much more rare than their availability in today's reproduction market would suggest.

Soooooo, to respond to the original question - I would select a Dragoon for my next purchase. Then be sure to make room in your display case to fit all four Dragoon models, 'cause you will need to have them, too. Then you'll want to have representative examples of all the pocket models, the London models, Piettas and Ubertis, etc. You'll also need at least two of each model, one for your display case and one to shoot. In short, my Friend, you can't stop at one - it just ain't American.
There's just something magical about a Walker or Dragoon.

Even the story behind the Walker is about as American as it gets.

The Dragoon is obviously, simply a slightly shortened Walker.

I wouldn't even want to use Pyrodex in these because you're robbing yourself of the joy of the big, rolling boom of touching off 40 or 50 grains of Black in a huge revolver that the subs just don't quite give you.

The only downside of Dragoons is that you can't have 1, you need a Brace or it just isn't right.

When I ordered my Walkers from Sportsman's Guide, they just shipped 1 thinking it was a mistake. I called and I'm like, Walkers come in pairs, I made no mistake, I ordered 2 of them like you're supposed to.

You still need a snubby.

Attachments

• 100_0899.JPG
    100_0899.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
What Stantheman said!!

"It jusr ain't American" is an understatement, it just ain't right. I started with one revolver [I am not a ML revolver fan :rolleyes: ] and magically, it became eight :dunno: Polecat

There's just something magical about a Walker or Dragoon.

Even the story behind the Walker is about as American as it gets.

The Dragoon is obviously, simply a slightly shortened Walker.

I wouldn't even want to use Pyrodex in these because you're robbing yourself of the joy of the big, rolling boom of touching off 40 or 50 grains of Black in a huge revolver that the subs just don't quite give you.

The only downside of Dragoons is that you can't have 1, you need a Brace or it just isn't right.

When I ordered my Walkers from Sportsman's Guide, they just shipped 1 thinking it was a mistake. I called and I'm like, Walkers come in pairs, I made no mistake, I ordered 2 of them like you're supposed to.
obviously you need a pair because you have two hands. The same reason I have a pair of Capt. Schaeffer '51 Navy replicas. And they are beautiful and fun to shoot.
Make smoke
Bunk

Soo.. im at a crossroads now. For the last 2 weeks ive been going back and forth on which cap n ball to buy.

I have 8 already.

1. ASM 1847 walker

2. 1858 remington brass in 5.5 and 8 inch barrels.

3. 4x 1851 navy. 1x normal brass in 44, 1x normal steel in 44, 1x 36 polished steel, and most recent a brass Deluxe engraved 44.

4. 1860 polished steel.

I am debating right now between 4.

The 1858 deluxe engraved 8 inch, the 1858 Bison 12 inch brass, or the 1851 deluxe steel with the white ivory grips. Or a Dragoon. Not sure which Gen. Probly gen 2 or 1 i like the trigger guard look better.

Soo. I dont have a dragoon.. The engraved ones are just purty. And i actually do carry my cap n balls sometimes so the ivory engraved 51 would be very nice.

The bison though seems to be the one thats the hardest to get. I rarely see them in stock. I just wish it wasnt brass as i have two 1858 brass already.

I dunno what do you guys think ? Im kinda leaning to the bison. Would be nice conversation peice at the range for sure. Although any cap n ball usually is.

First off, I would cull the herd and get rid of all the brass-framed guns.
Reinvest the money in one or more steel guns and accessories. With the worldwide manufacturing crisis and shortages, you are not going to have a lot of options on new guns for several years. A steel framed 1851 or 1861 Navy is never a mistake, and should not be too hard to come by for a little while longer.
Pick guns that have the best resale value that you can be happy with.
That rules out brassers and oddballs.

Last edited:
Used fantasy guns don't seem to hold value as well as good quality reproductions of actual firearms. But, for every pot there's a lid. After about 60 years of buying/trading guns, there is a basic truth. Junk remains junk ...it's just older junk. Buy the best, even if means only one good gun rather than two "mehs".

Brassers are fun to tinker with and practice "tweaking" like doing some hand polishing of internals with Mag Polish, using to blow Pyrodex through to save your stash of Holy Black and just playing around with, but that's correct, you'll never get anything back for them. They're fun guns for plinking that you don't have to baby.

You can pick em up cheap if you look around. The newer ones have a better brass alloy in the frames.

If you want something that will hold value you'll need C series 2nd Gen Colts.

Basically, just buy and shoot what you like , if you can only have a few go with steel.

Attachments

• 20220927_014610.jpg
    20220927_014610.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220927_131410.jpg
    20220927_131410.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back