• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need someone to jug choke a 28 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanting to jug choke my .54 smooth rifle. Does anyone know of someone to do this. It is a 15/16 rice barrel with .540 bore. Caywood's web sight says that he does 20 ga. and up. Thanks for any help.
Pappy :)

One set of stones should do it, you have to be sure and keep them wet with cutting oil. I use Tap Magic, but motor oil thinned with a little kerosene will work. You also need to be able to measure the amount of material being taken out of the bore.

Experimenting for the first time on an existing barrel certainly has some risks...as a thought, maybe if you called Danny Caywood and asked if he'd do it, he just might...you could sweet talk him about all the additional jobs he'd probably get as word got out he was now doing 28ga bores, etc.

Thought I would try this a little at a time and keep checking my pattern. Drop down to 50 gr. fffg and 100 gr. shot and get a good pattern but afraid it will not be strong enough for turkey.

My Colerain 54 smoothie likes 80 FFFG and 1 1/4 oz of #6. Turkey killer. I adjust my patterns with thicker paper around the shot column. (Over a nitro card and fiber wad) No need for a choke. What am I missing? I don't see the point of going after a perfectly good barrel.

pappy237 said:
Thought I would try this a little at a time and keep checking my pattern. Drop down to 50 gr. fffg and 100 gr. shot and get a good pattern but afraid it will not be strong enough for turkey.
60grns Goex 3F is the lowest I want to go, and have been able to get good 25yd turkey patterns with 5s, 6s, 7.5s.
(long 42" Rice barrel)

Interesting discovery doing load development for my current .54cal smoothbore.
In multiple barrels of both .54 and .62cals over the past 10 years I've always gotten better patterns using just 1 or 2 of Oxyoke's 1/8" wool OP wads instead of a full size 1/2" Circle Fly lubed fiber wad.
But oddly, this long 42" x .54cal Rice smoothbore barrel gets much better patterns with the full size 1/2" wad.

Latest posts

Back