• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need some help....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, everybody,

Well, I need some information 'bout a squirrel rifle in .32" cal. ...
My wife is asking me to get that kind of rifle because she had no more ability to shoot an heavy rifle. Then she think that the best could be shooting now with this kind of rifle. Why not, but she wants to shoot at 50meters with this and I think that the accuracy can be a bit low for that distance.
Here in France nobody (nobody I know) is using that kind of rifle and I can't obtain any help and answer...
Pedersoli makes a nice small flint ML but can it do the job to stay in a circle of 5cm (~2") at 50meters with a bullet of a weight of ~45 grains...

If nobody use it in France I know that a lot of people are shooting this in here and can help me before to buy this by Pedersoli...

Thks, guys and have a good sunday.

Erwan.

- Muzzle Loading Rifles model Pennsylvania Dixie Rifle flintlock model

Je serais très surpris si cette arme ne pouvait pas tirer aussi bien que nécessaire.
si votre femme peut tenir un groupe de 2 pouces à 50m, vous feriez mieux de la garder! et cachez-la!
deerstalker.

Edited to add Google translation

I would be very surprised if this gun couldn't shoot as well as needed.
if your wife can hold a 2 inch group at 50m, you better keep her! and hide it!
Zonie

Last edited by a moderator:
Je serais très surpris si cette arme ne pouvait pas tirer aussi bien que nécessaire.
si votre femme peut tenir un groupe de 2 pouces à 50m, vous feriez mieux de la garder! et cachez-la!
deerstalker.
I agree the rifle should do well.and like deerstalker said if she can hold a 2 inch group at 50m she is a keeper.

deerstalker.
LOL, vous avez raison cette femme est dangereuse... mais elle peut le faire plus souvent qu'on ne pourrait le croire... ;)
Je l'ai depuis quarante-huit ans et je la garde sans trop la cacher... :D
Avoir fait partie de l'équipe de France pendant un peu plus de vingt ans laisse des traces et voilà ce qu'elle fait encore avec un Tryon Match Pedersoli en discipline Vetterli :

LOL, you're right this woman is dangerous... but she can do it more often than you might think... ;)
I've had her for forty-eight years and I keep her without hiding her too much... :D
To have been part of the French team for a little more than twenty years leaves traces and here is what she still does with a Tryon Match Pedersoli in Vetterli discipline

Elle_peut.jpg

Thks to you all for the answers and if the cal. 32" can do that I think that I'll buy one for her.
I'm just waiting to read some new answers and the moment of buying will quickly come I think...

If the same rifle comes in a larger calibre then you may consider it. Larger carrys better at distance and all thing equal is lighter.

vous monsieur êtes un homme béni et chanceux! J'ai eu une femme pendant 54 ans et elle a tourné avec moi peut-être 5 fois.

now before my 55 year old high school French gets me in trouble, i will get in trouble with American English.
My wife did hunt with me. Elk ,Deer , and Moose.
my next muzzle loader will be a .32 i think. best of luck.
Deerstalker.

Here is a target I shot last weekend with mine. This is the first time Ive ever shot a .32 in my life. That is a 1 inch dot at 25 yards. I still need to tweak the sights. My point is if I can do that I think I can hit a 2 inch circle at 50 yards.

Attachments

• 0405211319.jpg
    0405211319.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 63
I think a 36 caliber is a better choice for dealing with winds. This is still a very light rifle and mine is very accurate. Oh, and this is flintlock. Please don't ask for a maker as that is long lost to history. Probably made in 1970's.
1618148160403.png

I think this one was shot at 35 or 50 yards. The same loading information.

1618148306060.png

Yes, the small calibers can achieve excellent accuracy. It takes practice and good reading of the wind.

My wife is asking me to get that kind of rifle because she had no more ability to shoot an heavy rifle.

Is it the weight of the rifle, or the recoil from larger caliber?

If it is rifle weight, you might be better off with a larger caliber in the same external size barrel. A 13/16ths barrel is lighter in .45 cal than in .32 cal (more steel removed for the larger caliber hole), and light loads in .45 caliber (45gr 2F) are very similar to 30gr 3F in a .32.

I have a little .30 cal Ohio style rifle with a W. Large barrel that will shoot hole on hole at 25 yds with 10 gr. of FFF and a .290 ball (2 1/2 buck shot). Enough to take squirrels but the wind becomes a problem with these small cal. steg49

Is it the weight of the rifle, or the recoil from larger caliber?
Yes, this is the reason of the choice, following a surgical operation, the recoil is now quickly becoming unbearable for her, that's why she wants a smaller caliber than her .45 cal., the choice is reduced: give up shooting or shoot with a small caliber ..... and she doesn't accept to stop shooting...

Yes, the small calibers can achieve excellent accuracy. It takes practice and good reading of the wind.
I know that too but if these small calibers can honestly hold the 50m (~55 yards) that could be enough : shooting at 25 yards with a rifle is forbidden, only 50m, 100m and more if more if you can find : France is a small country and the ranges are short (maximum 220 yards and not everywhere)...

I thank you all for all the answers, I just talk with my wife and so I'll go to a Pedersoli agent and buy this rifle that seems to be appropriate to replace her Tryon.
If this rifle works well at 50m you will have made a happy woman... 🙂

Thks for all, guys.

Erwan

Hi, everybody,

Well, I need some information 'bout a squirrel rifle in .32" cal. ...
My wife is asking me to get that kind of rifle because she had no more ability to shoot an heavy rifle. Then she think that the best could be shooting now with this kind of rifle. Why not, but she wants to shoot at 50meters with this and I think that the accuracy can be a bit low for that distance.
Here in France nobody (nobody I know) is using that kind of rifle and I can't obtain any help and answer...
Pedersoli makes a nice small flint ML but can it do the job to stay in a circle of 5cm (~2") at 50meters with a bullet of a weight of ~45 grains...

If nobody use it in France I know that a lot of people are shooting this in here and can help me before to buy this by Pedersoli...

Thks, guys and have a good sunday.

Erwan.

- Muzzle Loading Rifles model Pennsylvania Dixie Rifle flintlock model
I have a .32 caliber Mowery, percussion, muzzle loading rifle. It is a great squirrel rifle. You can experiment with different lead balls and powder charges to get the accuracy you need to hunt squirrels. I think your wife has a good idea about a small caliber rifle for squirrels. Be glad that she wants to participate in your hobby.

My .32 with 20 grains of 3fg has barely any recoil. A small child could easily handle this rifle, from a recoil only standpoint.

My 9 year old daughter shoots a 32 cal. rifle. She won't shoot anything with noticable recoil. She shoots around 20 grains of 3f swiss powder and says it feels less than a light weight 22 long rifle.

Back