• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some help with ID of smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Doughty,

I pulled the hammer screw out of my 10mm twin and measured it.
It is a M3 x 6 x 0.50 Pitch. You can get one at your Ace Hardware for about a quarter. Pick up a flat washer to fit it and your hammer will stay on until you can find a screw with a larger head or re-tap it.

Thanks
O.R.

Attachments

• Spanish Lock.jpg
    Spanish Lock.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 53
I had one marked 9mm, which is a popular bore size in Europe. This same gun was also made in 28 guage; if yours is smaller than .410, it's a 9mm and won't take enough powder to sneeze at. Mine had a swollen breech when I got it, so I cut and re breeched it. Please be sure of your bore size before you load it; Spanish proof is only about 10,500 lbs sq/in. It will be marked '700kg/cm2' or some such.

@Treestalker makes some very good points. Be sure of the bore size and load IF or when you decide to shoot it. Just because it looks to be the twin to my 10mm doesn't mean it is a 10mm. I actually second guessed myself and double checked mine.

This is just my hobby and my way but I try hard to make it a safe one. With the old ones that look promising to be a shooter I'll pull the breech plug and inspect closely. Determine what test load that I will use and take it to the range, strap it to a tire and fire with a string then reinspect. For a long time I had lunchtime access to a Magnaflux booth. That was helpful. I guess the standard legalese line is to have it checked by your gunsmith

Also I don't believe any of us mentioned to be sure it is unloaded. There are lots of horror stories to hear about that.

Thanks
O.R.

Attachments

• 10mm b.jpg
    10mm b.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 10mm.jpg
    10mm.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back