• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need some help and opinion to make a decision of 3 Muzzleloader rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
1) .50 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle 672

2) .50 cal Underhammer kit from Pecatonica Rifle 650 Items to complete kit 100 total 750+

3) .54 cal Lyman Signature Series Great Plains rifle 806

Besides the underhammer, are #1 and #3 kits or factory built? I have a real fondness for underhammers. You should know (if you don't already) that #1 is made by Investarms in Italy and #3 is made by Pedersoli of Italy.

You could go with a used lyman. The old ones are great. I have a .54 slow twist. Awesome rifle. I've never wished for another hawken since I've got it. Incredibly reliable and accurate. Never had a misfire with it. Of course, I don't really struggle with misfires with any of my guns.

Only thing I really needed to do to mine was round off the sharp edge on butt plate.

You handy enough and willing to spend the time to put the kit together? Depending on you, it might take a year or more to do the kit.

Fleener

You handy enough and willing to spend the time to put the kit together? Depending on you, it might take a year or more to do the kit.

Fleener
Actually there isn't that much to do. I'm paying those at Pecatonica Rifle to do everything to the barrel so that all I have to do is maybe polish it some and then brown and put on sights. The stock forearm is already inletted for the barrel and the butt stock looks like it would just need a little shaping and fitting to the action and a little inletting for the butt plate. Here' a couple pictures of the kit.

Attachments

• UnderhammerParts.jpg
    UnderhammerParts.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Underhammer3x262.jpg
    Underhammer3x262.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 69
I take a different stance because I like traditional looking muzzleloaders and never liked the stark metal look of an under hammer which probably represent 1% or less of the muzzleloaders out there.

Then there is selling your rifle somewhere down the road, under hammers fill a niche market and you will have to find someone who loves them to sell your rifle and move on to the next level, a Kibler perhaps.

I have a Lyman GPR in .54 (Investarms). It works, but it's not great. Fit and finish are reasonable. The blue/black bluing is soft and wears off easily. The lock is horrid...weak and finicky. Have a $185 L+R lock on order from TOW to fix that. Sights aren't much better and am replacing those too...another $200.

$600 for the rifle and another $400 in upgrades out of the box.

I understand lymans have changed makers a lot. I don't know who made mine, or what year as I bought it used, but mine is nothing like yours. HIGH, HIGH quality.

If I had a way of identifying the Era of lyman that this model came from, I would highly recommend it. My god it is a good rifle.

I’ll second the under hammer kit. You can have a fine rifle with historical roots that can shoot with the best of them... and you built it. There’s not a lot left to complete the kit but... the difference between a run of the mill kit gun and a really beautiful rifle is almost all in the finishing.

Of the two "sidelocks" I'd go with #3 for sure, unless you're willing to go used and can find a nice old #1.

I would go for the underhammer. I like mine better than my Dad's Great Plains Rifle. But it was an adventure to make. I like an adventure. I also like take-down rifles and rifles with interchangeable barrels.

The under-hammer design is old too from the early 1800's. There were even under-hammer flintlocks too. That would be something to try some day.

I would go for the underhammer. I like mine better than my Dad's Great Plains Rifle. But it was an adventure to make. I like an adventure. I also like take-down rifles and rifles with interchangeable barrels.

The under-hammer design is old too from the early 1800's. There were even under-hammer flintlocks too. That would be something to try some day.
I am leaning more towards the Underhammer kit, .50cal 1X36" Green Mountain barrel. I think once it's finished, if I do my part, it will be a $800+ ML

From what l’ve read, the Pedersoli Great Plains now has a 1 inch barrel. That would make it more attraactive to me but still don’t think that justifies the price tag.

Out of those three choices I would go with #2 . Most likely every thing made in the USA and probably a Green Mountain barrel , especially if you specify that.

Latest posts

Back