• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One must do what one must do in order to stay in the game. Fortunately I haven't yet needed to "make do" and I hope it never comes to that. Carry on.

Have decided to go there mag spark route, found a place nearby that has them and will be going to pick them up this weekend.

I'm located around the San Antonio area in Texas, saw musket caps at a few places recently.
Snag them. I’d try rifle primers on tubing too if necessary and yep, I bought a tap o cap years ago and haven’t used it yet. I’m not hoarding but I won’t stop shooting either…

Get a musket cap nipple for the Hawken.
Yeah, I have a few of those, a couple thousand musket caps and then my preferred #10 and 11 Remington caps. I’m told they intend to begin production again but haven’t heard a firm date. Until then I’m a buyer when I see them here and there…

I mentioned using Toy plastic cap gun caps. Well do you think I can find them now. All stores are sold out and don`t know why, also they cant seem to get any more. Should have kept my mouth shut.

I just use the plastic toy caps for cap guns. The 8 shot ring caps. I only use them with real black powder though. Use them in all my caplocks including My CVA and T/C Hawken.
Dear Tasbay are you the on who shoots at Motueka Gormet range ? Ime in Tap up stream of you & am into MLs but have no factory made guns I roll my own as it where Regards Rudyard

I currently own two percussion cap rifles, one is a TC Hawken and the other is a CVA, not sure the model but is identical to the Thompson. Both take #11 percussion caps which I am currently unable to find in the current US market for ammunition. I was wanting to know if there's anything I can use as a substitute until they are on the market. I am aware of the tap o cap but am uncomfortable with mixing the chemicals for the primers. Any advice is appreciated.

Antique Traders in TX has # 11 caps

Dear Tasbay are you the on who shoots at Motueka Gormet range ? Ime in Tap up stream of you & am into MLs but have no factory made guns I roll my own as it where Regards Rudyard

Yep was talking to Nigel about you a few weeks back. Must catch up some time. Sounds like you are quite talented when it comes to building your own. I will probably be at the range next weekend, they have a rifle shoot on.

Using a wire brass brush in a muzzle loader barrel is a chancy thing. The bristles set back and do NOT like to change directions. In my .50 Green River plains rifle a good swab/jag is a .45 brass brush with the patch wrapped around it. The bristles hold the patch and won't let it come loose and get lost and the bristles force the patch down into the grooves.
I would say never force a patch or brush or anything down the bore of a muzzle loader. Unbreeching one is the male child of a female canine (family friendly).
Mostly I shoot a Sharps or Smith and they are easy to clean as an unmentionable using that fad nitro stuff.
A lot more dirt but way yonder more fun.
Bunk.

I just use the plastic toy caps for cap guns. The 8 shot ring caps. I only use them with real black powder though. Use them in all my caplocks including My CVA and T/C Hawken.
I got the plastic caps when I could get neither caps nor real black powder. They won't ignite Pyrodex in my Walker replica. Toy caps are loaded much lighter than they were when I was a kid, due to Federal safety standards that limit the noise they make Thought about punching out tape caps and inserting them into the plastic caps Tap-O-Cap style, but haven't tried that yet. I'll have to give the primers and tubing a try. I have both small pistol and small rifle primers on hand. They are identical in exterior dimensions, both diameter and height, so if small pistol primers will work, so will small rifle ones. That's not true in the large size, where large rifle primers have a taller cup than large pistol primers.

I got the plastic caps when I could get neither caps nor real black powder. They won't ignite Pyrodex in my Walker replica. Toy caps are loaded much lighter than they were when I was a kid, due to Federal safety standards that limit the noise they make Thought about punching out tape caps and inserting them into the plastic caps Tap-O-Cap style, but haven't tried that yet. I'll have to give the primers and tubing a try. I have both small pistol and small rifle primers on hand. They are identical in exterior dimensions, both diameter and height, so if small pistol primers will work, so will small rifle ones. That's not true in the large size, where large rifle primers have a taller cup than large pistol primers.
I recently bought a few cards of Plastic ring caps and they are less powerful than the ones I usually use. On checking they have less primer in them and were haphazard in igniting shots. To remedy this I pulled out the white card invert and dribbled a small amount of black powder into the cup and then replaced the insert. Tried them yesterday and almost all fired the Pedersoli Kentucky I was using.
Even the plastic toy caps are now near impossible to find where I live.

I recently bought a few cards of Plastic ring caps and they are less powerful than the ones I usually use. On checking they have less primer in them and were haphazard in igniting shots. To remedy this I pulled out the white card invert and dribbled a small amount of black powder into the cup and then replaced the insert. Tried them yesterday and almost all fired the Pedersoli Kentucky I was using.
Even the plastic toy caps are now near impossible to find where I live.
I just ordered a large batch of the plastic caps, which I know from a review have a good many empty ones, from Walmart online. I also checked that my local Bass Pro has roll caps in stock. I plan to punch those out and insert them into plastic caps as one does with the Tap-O-Cap made cups, to "supercharge" them a bit. I'm sure I've got some of that plastic tubing around here to adapt the primers to nipples. I'm not sure if an Armi San Marco Walker replica has enough clearance at the back of the cylinder for small Boxer primers, but I'll find out. Nice to have options.

Back