• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need some advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard H

32 Cal
Reaction score
I currently own two percussion cap rifles, one is a TC Hawken and the other is a CVA, not sure the model but is identical to the Thompson. Both take #11 percussion caps which I am currently unable to find in the current US market for ammunition. I was wanting to know if there's anything I can use as a substitute until they are on the market. I am aware of the tap o cap but am uncomfortable with mixing the chemicals for the primers. Any advice is appreciated.

I haven't checked on them for a while so I don't know if there;s a shortage on these too. I keep some musket caps around just in case and found nipples to fit my rifles.

Changed out #11 nipple for a musket cap nipple and never looked back ! Works just fine on my .50 , and .56 T/C rifles !! If you are amenable to changing , be sure you get the "correct thread" nipple for your rifle . I think the CVA's are/were metric. I do not know the availability of musket caps in your area , so this will be a concern also !! GOOD LUCK WITH IT !!

I currently own two percussion cap rifles, one is a TC Hawken and the other is a CVA, not sure the model but is identical to the Thompson. Both take #11 percussion caps which I am currently unable to find in the current US market for ammunition. I was wanting to know if there's anything I can use as a substitute until they are on the market. I am aware of the tap o cap but am uncomfortable with mixing the chemicals for the primers. Any advice is appreciated.
loyalist Dave is right

I am aware of the tap o cap but am uncomfortable with mixing the chemicals for the primers
Ok,
If you have no stock, Then you need to get over that.
Everyone is in the same boat.
Nothing has changed, thousands of us are searching for caps.
And that's not going to change soon.
Loyalist Dave is right,, ya just have to find small pistol (?)
,,And that's not going to change soon,,,,

Thankfully I have enough caps to last maybe 2 years if I shoot my flintlock at least half of the time. Hopefully sometime in that time period caps will be available. Oh yeah, that's your other option. Buy a flintlock.

IF you can find small pistol primers you can use those. You need a bit of vinyl tubing to do so.

Small Pistol Primes on Cap & Ball nipples

LD
Good luck trying to find small pistol primers, Haven't seen pistol primers in almost 2 years. Did get a notice from Kentucky Gun Co. the other day that they now have rifle primers in stock but you have to buy a case of 5000 for $425.00.

They sell primer nipples, so you can use primers.

We prefer the mad scientist and make our own.

Still working on getting some to work.

I have a modest yet ample supply of both rifle and musket caps from a few years ago. Obviously I seldom shoot percussion but sparingly. Only the matchlock is less affected by shortages than is the flintlock. Flintlocks go where percussions fear to tread.

You can use toy caps with tap-o-cap caps if you are uncomfortable with mixing the primer. There are numerous threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

If you are in a pinch but have strike anywhere matches the white tip will fire a muzzleloader.
Musket nipple good but have to center the hammer.

Yup Mag spark will allow 209 primers if you have those ,cost $30.00

Would small rifle primers work? That’s what I have.
No idea. You'd have to try. Often folks worry about the possibility that small rifle primers might be harder to "dent" as rifle main springs tend to be heavier than modern handguns, but we're talking about using these to fire cap-n-ball revolvers in the video... he never tried them in a rifle. The hammer strike may be just fine.

LD

No idea. You'd have to try. Often folks worry about the possibility that small rifle primers might be harder to "dent" as rifle main springs tend to be heavier than modern handguns, but we're talking about using these to fire cap-n-ball revolvers in the video... he never tried them in a rifle. The hammer strike may be just fine.

LD
After digging around in my shoot shack and other places I found several tins of older caps which should do me for a long time. I just don’t shoot as much as I did years ago. Just getting too lazy I guess😇

Back