• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some advice on Traditions Kentucky flintlock build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood86

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first build. I've been starting work on my Traditions KY flintlock and have two questions. One, does it actually have to have the brass spacer in the stock? I know I've seen people make one out of wood, but is it necessary to have anything in there at all? Could I simply fit the two stock pieces together and drill a new hole for the brass forend a bit farther up on the stock?

Question 2, I have either lost, or was never given, a second barrel tenon. I have both tenon pins, and one tenon. Can I get by with the one tenon or do I need to contact Traditions to try and get a replacement? Will they replace it for free or what is the general pricing for one of those? Sorry I know that is way more than two question. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

Yes you will need a spacer of some kind the muzzle cap is attached with two screws threaded into the bottom barrel flat that go through the stock and without the spacer the holes in the stock won’t line up.

I’m not sure about the tennon. If you contact Traditions and ask for one they may just send you one. If you want to make one instead of ordering a replacement it can be easily done with sheet metal here is a link to an article on how to do it: Pinning Bills Barrel

If you have any questions feel free to message.

Could I simply fit the two stock pieces together and drill a new hole for the brass forend a bit farther up on the stock?
You must consider,, If you remove just the spacer, it doesn't relieve enough space to clear the forend caps pre-drilled hole(s) from the existing tapped hole(s) in the barrel far enough to tap another hole,, you'll have to re-drill the nose cap "properly" and tap new holes in the barrel because the nose cap holds the wood in place. And the guide pins depth may be compromised and well as tenon pin location in proximity to those pre-drilled holes in the forestock.
It can all be done easy enough,, you just gotta think about "all" of the fitting. But that split and grain change between the pieces is still gonna be there.

Can I get by with the one tenon or do I need to contact Traditions to try and get a replacement?
You'll need both,, this is the same thing
https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p869/Kentucky_Rifle_Barrel_Tenon_for_45cal_-_P185.html

have fun with it dress it up and tune the lock if a flinter
DSC03290.JPG
DSC03303.JPG
DSC03300.JPG

Remove the spacer, join the wood, and epoxy the nosecap to the end of the stock in its normal place. Then put a screw or brass rivet(any annealed brass rod will work.) from inside the barrel channel into the hole in the nosecap. You can tap a hole or put a rivet in one of the existing nosecap holes. Ignore or fill the holes if one is exposed. Make a tenon out of whatever you have laying around. I have even used aluminum angle or T bar. No one will see it, and I won't tell. You might have to redrill the existing tenon. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I decided to make a spacer out of wood to fill the gap. My brass piece would not sit flush no matter what I tried. I'm going to call Traditions tomorrow about the tenon and see if I can get one through them, if not, I'll shell out and order one, as I don't really have anything around the shop that would work as well I don't think.

Thanks everyone. I decided to make a spacer out of wood to fill the gap. My brass piece would not sit flush no matter what I tried. I'm going to call Traditions tomorrow about the tenon and see if I can get one through them, if not, I'll shell out and order one, as I don't really have anything around the shop that would work as well I don't think.
Pretty sure the Traditions kit is close to identical to the older CVA Kentucky kits.
Deer Creek has all the remaining parts for the older CVA side lock guns before they switched to inline.
My guess is they would have your barrel tenion if you can't get it from Traditions

European gunsmiths stocking rifles to the muzzle in Mannlicher style sometimes used two piece forends with a piece of horn at the joint, much like the brass spacer. The purpose of this was to control warping of the forend. When I look at the Traditions rifles I think the brass spacer part would look better with a horn spacer or some other natural, perhaps ebony. Something dark would look better than brass.

Traditions KY is nice, but I don't like the spacer at all, so I'd make a wooden one or at the very least blacken the brass one to hide it some. As others have said though for alignment some kind of spacer is needed.

Back