• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need revolver bluing advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Some time ago I bought a used Pietta 1851 Navy that has a worn bluing spot on the barrel. No big deal I guess, but it would be nice if I could spot blue the worn spot on the barrel. I have used Brownells Oxpho-Blue, Birchwood Casey Perma Blue and an off brand bluing called Stock Doc Nu-Blu with no success. When trying to blue the worn spot, I have cleaned the area with denatured alcohol and even slightly heating up the barrel with a heat gun before applying the blue. I have been successful on spot bluing unmentionable rifles and pistols in the past but there is something about these Italian revolvers and their bluing that appears not to like being spot blued. The best solution would be to just have a gunsmith completely strip the barrel and hot blue it but that would be costly. Please look at the photo below of the barrel worn spot. Can anyone give me advice on what bluing you use and some tips on bluing Italian BP revolvers?

1643751177729.png

remove all bluing and polish it up real smooth and sparkly, remove all oils with acetone or denatured alcohol then chose what ever bluing or browning method that suits you and do it from scratch

you ain't going to repair that blue and make it look right

probably take you an afternoon to do the work and make it look good

remove all bluing and polish it up real smooth and sparkly, remove all oils with acetone or denatured alcohol then chose what ever bluing or browning method that suits you and do it from scratch

you ain't going to repair that blue and make it look right

probably take you an afternoon to do the work and make it look good
Excellent advice. I came across an interesting YouTube video using white vinegar for removing gun bluing plus I have a buffing wheel on my grinder.

Last edited:
Be very careful and really consider any other method for removing bluing than taking it to the grinder. The chemical methods will do a better job of removing the bluing and leaving the surface ready the application of the new bluing.

If you use white vinegar , wrap in two or three layers of paper towel [good quality] the parts from which the blue will be removed. Then carefully fully wet the paper towel. Leave it on; check in a few minutes by lifting the paper from the metal in a spot or two. If it is mottled or grey remove the paper and scrub vigorously with denim or a cheap wash rag. Repeat until all blue is gone. BTW: plug all openings before you start to prevent vinegar incursion. When blue is gone, wash in soda water and then wipe with alcohol or acetone. Now: Blue to your heart's content. :D Just my ' 1 1/2 cents worth. Works for me. Dale

Last edited:
rounded flats are the rule using a wheel to polish. . better off using very fine grit emery or wet and dry sandpaper backed by a flat object of some sort [ block of wood or ??]. brake parts cleaner is a good degreaser. good luck with it. mike

i do apple cider vinegar bath in a warm place,,like in the furnace room,,over nite,,than the fun starts,,,wash it in the sink with a brass brush,,dry and oil ,,than run a brush threw the inside followed by a oiled swab,,now acetone followed by your chose of bluing or brown,,,i do it with cotton rounds and q tips,,heat or no heat,,different colors for different folks,,i also found that cold blue left on for weeks will produce a brown black blue antique look thats close to the patina on my 1840s pensiltucky longgun,,when oiled very close,,

Hi guys,
Some time ago I bought a used Pietta 1851 Navy that has a worn bluing spot on the barrel. No big deal I guess, but it would be nice if I could spot blue the worn spot on the barrel. I have used Brownells Oxpho-Blue, Birchwood Casey Perma Blue and an off brand bluing called Stock Doc Nu-Blu with no success. When trying to blue the worn spot, I have cleaned the area with denatured alcohol and even slightly heating up the barrel with a heat gun before applying the blue. I have been successful on spot bluing unmentionable rifles and pistols in the past but there is something about these Italian revolvers and their bluing that appears not to like being spot blued. The best solution would be to just have a gunsmith completely strip the barrel and hot blue it but that would be costly. Please look at the photo below of the barrel worn spot. Can anyone give me advice on what bluing you use and some tips on bluing Italian BP revolvers?

View attachment 118960

How To Blue — Van's Instant Gun Blue Have been using VANS for over 30 years for spot and touch ups to 100s of old guns and repros with better results for cold bluing than any other of many types tried. Better for blending. Nice for "antiquing" brass also. Works faster warm and clean w/ acetone...c

If it was mine I'd remove all of the original bluing on the barrel and then rust blue it. Forget about ALL the "wonder" cold blues out there they are not meant for large area touch-ups. :thumb: :ThankYou::horseback:

Back