• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need recommendation on getting my first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with Jim via another forum and he said he's open to doing it. Next year I'd be interested in doing a build. Perhaps if two or three people were keen it would get him over the line?
I asked the lady there who works for him Jim had an aversion to stamping a serial number on a barrel (Aussie Border force ) maybe hes thought about it more.

My problem is that I'm a "lefty", although Jim has mentioned he's going to produce LH kits, when we dont know.

Last edited:
Dixie is an importer now and not so much a manufacturer. The rifle you are looking at is made by Pedersoli. The locks are reasonable. Generally, they are reliable. Dixie does try to provide customer satisfaction is there a problem with a product that they sell.

Pedersoli does not grade their stocks for curl (striping in the wood). More curl means more expensive wood with figure, not a twisty stock.

You will have a finished rifle quicker if you order the Pedersoli from Dixie, but you will not have an equivalent rifle.
You will have a finished rifle quicker if you order the Pedersoli from Dixie, but you will not have an equivalent rifle.

I have assembled and finished seven Kiblers. I can assemble on in the white in one day. Other kits do not have the attention to detail and require much more troubleshooting of the wood to metal fit. In the end I think that how long it takes is not an important question. IF one doe no not enjoy the process buy a finished rifle.

I have assembled a couple of Colonials and several SMR's. The colonial is big and heavy, I might even say clunky. This is how they really were in the period though. The SMR, particularly the 45 cal is very light and sleek. It is the best balanced and handling ML I have ever seen. I shoot mine often. I have not seen a woods runner yet. If I had a reason to get another rifle I'd get one.

When you pay for fancy wood Kibler is very generous. It is well worth the money.

I have assembled and finished seven Kiblers. I can assemble on in the white in one day. Other kits do not have the attention to detail and require much more troubleshooting of the wood to metal fit. In the end I think that how long it takes is not an important question. IF one doe no not enjoy the process buy a finished rifle.

I have assembled a couple of Colonials and several SMR's. The colonial is big and heavy, I might even say clunky. This is how they really were in the period though. The SMR, particularly the 45 cal is very light and sleek. It is the best balanced and handling ML I have ever seen. I shoot mine often. I have not seen a woods runner yet. If I had a reason to get another rifle I'd get one.

When you pay for fancy wood Kibler is very generous. It is well worth the money.
That's good information, I've been thinking of getting a colonial in 58 one day. The smr are just too small (legally) for deer here. I wish the woodsrunner came in 58, I've got three 54s and really don't need another!

Back