• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Possibles Bag Ideas ..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Am looking to get my first possibles bag ...needs to have a strap...no belt bag. Just wondering what's out there...new to the period correct stuff..but been shooting BP since 1980. So need to get the whole get up..horn ,primer for pan..possibles bag and such. Any pics of your stuff would be great. I shoot a Tulle 62 cal smoothy and a McCoy .45 cal flinter. Thanks for any pics and input.

Artificer said:
Do you care if it is authentic or not? If so, what time period, region, etc.? Will you use it for reenacting?

Gus
No reenacting...like I mentioned,I shoot a Tulle ,so maybe something around that time..New England style maybe not...will see what floats my boat. Price...not on a budget. Thanks !!

I just purchased a bag and horn combo from Neal Brown from Carthage, MS. He has several different styles for various periods. These are by far the best I have seen just about anywhere. All handmade with quality material. You will not be disappointed.

c6934e70dc56ef97d276ee38fe6f0abf_zps5euwoibv.jpg

That's really, really nice.

At history's door is another you might search if you're going period correct. He has a wide range of customizable sizes and such.

A shooting bag is a fairly difficult choice made easier by deciding a certain period and place. Even if not reenacting, period correctness helps a lot in that regard. I'd recommend going a might bit bigger than you think you need. Run out of room quick

According to Jack that is a
SHOOTING BAG this guy wants a possi possibles bag two completely different animals but the one Rick Richards just posted looks like a great setup

Nessmuck56 said:
Artificer said:
Do you care if it is authentic or not? If so, what time period, region, etc.? Will you use it for reenacting?

Gus
No reenacting...like I mentioned,I shoot a Tulle ,so maybe something around that time..New England style maybe not...will see what floats my boat. Price...not on a budget. Thanks !!

Well, you lucky dog you! Sorry,just don't get to hear that very often. :wink:

Which is it: "Feed a cold and starve a fever," or the other way around "Feed a fever and starve a cold?" :wink:

As for bag size, know that for darned tootin, you'll fill whatever you get. The bigger the bag, the more stuff you'll pack and the heavier it will get.

In my experience, I started out with bigger bags, but the things that I really needed for shooting always migrated down to the bottom with the "nice to haves" on top. Took a whole lot of sorting and pawing to get through a reload.

Over time my bags have gotten smaller and smaller, because I ONLY put stuff in them that I need for a quick reload. Though I could go even smaller than I'm using now, I've found a useful measure. I want them just big enough that I can reach my hand in and close it into a fist around whatever I need. If I can withdraw the closed fist without it hanging, the bag is big enough. If my hand hangs up, the bag is too small.

Ok guys I am new to this. So, I tried researching Possible Bag and Shooting Bag on the net, but was unable to find anything. Can someone please tell me the difference without hijacking this thread?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Cause according to some, you can not put shooting things in a possibles bag nor possibles in a shooting bag.
And if you put a sandwich or piece of cheese in there for lunch you must absolutely call it a haversack.
This is carved in stone,(someplace) the stone is on a pedestal before an eternal flame draped with fine linen and silk, dried fruit and bread is offered daily by subservient followers.

He could have a purse too if he wanted... :wink:
The names of the bags are defined by their intended use...
If all you intend to put in the bag is stuff to make your gun go bang, then it is a shooting bag.

If the bag contains other items like a sewing kit, flint & steel, tinder, fishing kit, food, map, compass, etc.......then it is likely a possibles bag, haversack, bag or purse.

If you call it a shooting bag...no one argues or questions it.

necchi said:
Cause according to some, you can not put shooting things in a possibles bag nor possibles in a shooting bag.
And if you put a sandwich or piece of cheese in there for lunch you must absolutely call it a haversack.
This is carved in stone,(someplace) the stone is on a pedestal before an eternal flame draped with fine linen and silk, dried fruit and bread is offered daily by subservient followers.

Oh! :thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf:

CC......The OP didn't say what he was going to put in it, just that he was looking for a possibles bag.
:wink:

BB...... :thumbsup: Good explanation.

colorado clyde gives some sage advice, as usual.

I don’t have the vast experience of most on this forum, but I have spent some time trying to decide whether the possibles bag-shooting bag-haversack nomenclature was just semantics or if there were real differences.

According to The Complete Blackpowder Handbook by Fadal, somewhat paraphrased:
The old time kit included a hunting bag, also called a shooting pouch, erroneously referred to today as a possibles bag. The shooting bag was a repository for vital shooting necessities, such as spare lead balls, extra flints for the flintlock, nipple wrench for a percussion rifle, small screwdrivers, and other devices.
Along with the shooting bag or pouch some historians claim there was a possibles bag. In theory, the name alludes to the possibility of finding almost anything in it. The possibles bag was probably a larger pouch in which could be found a bit of tobacco, spare gunpowder, flints, patching material, fire-steel, etc. In short, the possible bag was a catchall. Some students of the Far West don’t buy into the possibles bag story. They think possibles simply meant an array of gear, regardless of how or where it was carried.

Some people are adamant about the difference:
“The shooting bag is not a possibles bag. It should only contain those items necessary to operate the gun. The goal is to have your accouterments organized and handy enough that you won’t be fumbling around on the shooting line. When you have it all organized just right you should be able to load your gun with your eyes closed or in the dark of night if necessary.”
“Other items that may be needed for a day hunt such as; lunch, a container of water, compass, fire starting materials, etc. are carried in a separate possible bag or haversack.”

Others think that it is your bag and you can put in what you want and call it anything you wish.
Either way, there is a tendency to fill any bag or pouch to excess, particularly when you are new to the activity.

Most important: have fun!
Ron

No withstanding all the preaching about what to call it (which is shooting/hunting bag BTW), IMHO Darrel Lang is your guy. I have a bag that he made custom for me and it is second to none. Plus he is very reasonable considering his high level of craftsmanship. Here's a link to his site: http://leatherfromthepast.blogspot.com/

Let us know, and see, what you end up getting!...Mick :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
colorado clyde said:
He could have a purse too if he wanted... :wink:
The names of the bags are defined by their intended use...
If all you intend to put in the bag is stuff to make your gun go bang, then it is a shooting bag.

If the bag contains other items like a sewing kit, flint & steel, tinder, fishing kit, food, map, compass, etc.......then it is likely a possibles bag, haversack, bag or purse.
That seems to be the consensus.

In my opinion, it helps to use generally accepted terms when writing about something. If you ask for a photo of a "possibles bag", I might show you this...

DSCN4029_JR_rev_war_bag.jpg

Only to have you say, "No, a leather bag with many pockets to keep my shooting stuff in."

Now that I understand what you want, I might show you this...

DSC01807-516x624.jpg

Another example might be, flask vs horn? :wink:

Back