• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need opinions for a squirrel rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I as seriously thinking about getting a Flintlock made to squirrel hunt with. If a coyote or ground hog shows up, yeah them to. The calibers I am considering are 32, 36, or 40, I am also not sure whether straight or swamped barrel, or barrel length. Those of you with experience squirrel hunting, what are your opinions, of what you wish you would have gotten or what you are glad you did. I know shots will need to be head/neck shots. I will be hunting the woods of Ohio which can be thick or quite open. If it makes any difference I will be getting a Lancaster stock. Just looking for thoughts to help me decide and anything else I should consider when ordering. DANNY

I like a .32 for squirrels. I have a .36 too but I favor the .32. 30gr's of 3fff behind a .310rb

Ron_squirrels.jpg

IMO, a .32 is fine for rabbits and squirrels but I think a coyote deserves a larger .36.

A .40 is a bit stout for rabbits and squirrels so that puts a .36 on center stage for my choice.

A .40 is a bit stout for rabbits and squirrels so that puts a .36 on center stage for my choice.

To be honest I chose .40 in part because it is a legal caliber for deer in my state..., and at the time....

I was taught that a .350 patched round ball was a bit under-gunned for coyotes, (which had just appeared in my area and were causing trouble) but on the other hand you can solve that by using Maxiballs, if you need them

I also opted for a .40 because I can choose my load for squirrels, so it's not too stout but I can juice it up a bit for ground hogs (thems tough critters, yes sir!) and with 60 grains of 3Fg it's fine for 'yotes and deer, PLUS I got a supply of .40 conical bullets patterned after Lee REAL bullets, so..., it's good to go.

On the other hand you can tailor your powder loads too for a .36 so not sure how folks say it's "under-gunned" for a 'yote.

:idunno:

As for other considerations....I'd go swamped, and 38" of barrel is plenty, BUT check the weights on a 13/16 thick barrel at 36" as that may be handier in the thick parts of those woods, and you might find a double set-trigger helps a lot with the head shots.

LD

.32 can be light when its breezy and using light loads. my next build is a good middle of the road, a .36 in an under-hammer.

Squirrels are my favorite small game meat so I don't want any meat destroyed. Even though I try for head shots most of the time a ball through the ribs doesn't do much more damage than a .22LR.

As for coyotes, they're not so tough that a .32 through the lights wouldn't fix em, I've taken em with .22's and arrows and wouldn't hesitate to use my .32..

Coyote-with-a-bow.jpg

In 1977 I completed building my "squirrel" LR which has head hit 100s of gray and fox squirrels.

It's got a .45 cal bbl that's 7/8" X 42" lg which makes the LR a mite muzzle heavy , single trigger w/ a 3 lb trigger pull and the flintlock is a small
Siler that I built from a kit.

I don't think caliber is that important for squirrels......I only take head shots, so actually an air rifle would kill them. In fact, before I built this LR, I used a .50 TC Hawken on squirrels and destroyed no meat because of head hits. I also shot one deer w/ the .45.

This LR was my first build and was from a blank....so excuse its looks...I call it "Ugly"......Fred

QroASZQ.jpg

I agree with Zonie. The .36 with a light load of 20 grains of 3f will take squirrels out to 35 yards with no problem. Head or chest shots should be your goal if you want to save the meat.
I have used the .36 successfully on our new England coyotes, which can run quite large (Shot one last year that weighed 53#). I use 35 grains of 3f with a PRB. Most of my coyotes have been called in, and I try to get them with 40 yards before I shoot. I place my shots in the boiler room, and have yet to have a yote go more than 30 yards after the shot. I have yet to recover a ball. The .32 will do the job. I shot 2 coyotes with a .32, but both managed to run off about 75-100 yards. Recovery was difficult due to the thick cover. Head shots would probably be best when using the .32.
If you only see an occasional coyote, go with the .32, but if coyotes are your goal, go with the .36 or larger if the law permits.

I built a TVM late lancaster two years ago with a rice .32 barrel for the purpose of squirrels. I have hunted with it, but not had a shot yet in the woods . . . (Cataracts surgery has made me more optimist and a better shot now ! I am looking forward to range time this summer and a few hunts this fall).

I have .30, .36, and .40 caliber squirrel rifles, and all of them work great with the right load. The .40 with a light load, doesn’t tear up the squirrels and can handle other game up to deer and hogs.

As for other considerations....I'd go swamped, and 38" of barrel is plenty, BUT check the weights on a 13/16 thick barrel

Good advice. As for caliber, any of the three will do you just fine. Yer choice.
However, do take into consideration barrel weight. My friend had a .32 with 38" straight barrel built for his wife. It is so front heavy most men cannot hold comfortably. I suggest go swamped in a .36 or .40.

I have both a .32 and a .36 and have been using the .36 the most. Most squirrels were taken with the .32, however. The .32 has a 38" X "A" wgt Rice barrel. Balance is superb and I highly recommend a swamped barrel. The .36 barrel is a 38" X 3/4" straight. But being so small in diameter it didn't need a swamp. Both rifles are very lightweight and handy. The .32 does its work with 30 grains of 3F and a .311" ball. For the .36, an accurate load is 20 grains of 3F and a .350" ball. Both rifles have taken small game with these loads. You might be surprised at the power both can be loaded to.

Not cuz I'm cheap but I use 15 gr in my .32 crockett and it is devestaing to tree rats. A square noggin hit and it looks as bad or worse than a .22 mag. .32 for tree rats.

I say get a .40 though....I dont have one....yet :grin:

Anything .32 - .40 would be fine with me . I don't own a .32 but have a Seneca .36 and a home made .40 Flint lock that I use for squirrels . Never had any problem with either .

Eddie

Whatever caliber, get a swamped barrel, you with love the balance of the rifle, works well in an early style Lancaster. I have a .40 with said barrel, we don't have squirrels down under, but great for bunnies or possums.

I would go with a .40 caliber swamped barrel. I'm partial to the Southern Mountain rifles, but your Lancaster is also a very good looking gun.

the advantage of the .40 is that, with a small amount of tweaking, you can use it for many different sizes of game, from squirrel up to small deer (if you're brave, and dead-bang sure of your shot placement).

I really like double set triggers, too.

Just one guy's opinion - free and well worth the cost!

Make Good Smoke :)

This is a .36 cal with a swamped 46" rice barrel and a chambers lock that I built and it is deadly on squirrels. I like both the 32 an 36 but for me the ramrod on the 36 is a little beefer

Latest posts

Back