• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Load Recommendations for .58 Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I sent a .50 Renegade barrel off to Bobby Hoyt a couple weeks ago to be bored to .58 smoothbore (24 gauge). I wanted a gun for small game hunting and preferred that it be a smoothbore, but realzed that it would be a thumper of a smooth rifle also. While I'm waiting for Bobby to do his magoc I need to figure out some preliminary ideas on how to feed it.

For the shot load I figured I'd use Skychief's load reduced to 3/4 oz. of shot with an equivalent amount of powder, sound about right? For the round ball load, I realize .570" ball moulds are not all that common. I have a .575" RB mould and will try that loaded with a .125" nitro card over the powder then an oiled cushion wad, the ball and another NC over the top. That's my plan unless someone has an alternative that sounds more promising. Your comments are welcomed!

sounds like you are on the right track

I'd really be looking for a .565 or .570 mold though.

Now with that .575 under a card...good plan. But you will get better group with a fouling shot to tighten up the ball fit.

With out a PRB you are going to pick up some lead in the barrel over time, but not as bad as a conical in a rifle I wager. :)

myself I would start my load as such and work from there...

110 grains of 2f or 90 grains of 3f
Over powder card or wad
.565 roundball with a .015 Patch maybe a .020 patch if the .015 is too sloppy a fit

Wow! I could hardly believe what the postman brought me today - my barrel is back!! It's scarcely been 3 weeks since I sent it out! Cudos to Bobby Hoyt for a speedy turnaround! I haven't even started on the mods and refinishing yet, my wife offered the suggestion that I wait 'til small game season ends next winter and just shoot it as it is for now. Smart girl! I'll hold off on the mods and concentrate on working up loads for now.Can't wait to get some cards and wads ordered and get it fired up. Thanks to you folks for your suggestions, it's much appreciated, I'll post a range report as soo as I can!

I'd pick up some 24 ga wads and shoot shot out of it as well. 75-80 grains FFG and 1/2 to 5/8 oz of shot would make a good rabbit, quail or chucker load.

Center shot, i use Hornets nest over 60 gr 2f followed by lightly lubed blue pillow ticking patch and .615 ball. I bored out my CVA .50 Mountain Rile with a 5/8 dril bit then honed it smooth to a 19 gauge smoothbore that’s shooting 2” at 40 yards.
S H O O T S S W E E T !

sounds like you are on the right track

I'd really be looking for a .565 or .570 mold though.

Now with that .575 under a card...good plan. But you will get better group with a fouling shot to tighten up the ball fit.

With out a PRB you are going to pick up some lead in the barrel over time, but not as bad as a conical in a rifle I wager. :)

myself I would start my load as such and work from there...

110 grains of 2f or 90 grains of 3f
Over powder card or wad
.565 roundball with a .015 Patch maybe a .020 patch if the .015 is too sloppy a fit

110 grains of powder is a pretty stiff load.

.58 is a big ball
Dualist 54 got real good results from large charges in his .62. He was shooting 110 grains with about an 320 grain ball. Not much heavier then a .58 ball
I get good results with 65 to 75. And 70 in a .54 smoothbore
I don’t think a smoothie has one right load. They ain’t as picky as rifle guns. One might get the ‘best’ results from a dozen different combos.
Higher MV could get you to the target to fast for other variables to kick in and move ball off of line of sight

Hello all! I sent a .50 Renegade barrel off to Bobby Hoyt a couple weeks ago to be bored to .58 smoothbore (24 gauge). I wanted a gun for small game hunting and preferred that it be a smoothbore, but realzed that it would be a thumper of a smooth rifle also. While I'm waiting for Bobby to do his magoc I need to figure out some preliminary ideas on how to feed it.

For the shot load I figured I'd use Skychief's load reduced to 3/4 oz. of shot with an equivalent amount of powder, sound about right? For the round ball load, I realize .570" ball moulds are not all that common. I have a .575" RB mould and will try that loaded with a .125" nitro card over the powder then an oiled cushion wad, the ball and another NC over the top. That's my plan unless someone has an alternative that sounds more promising. Your comments are welcomed!
Hi, your 575 round ball load sounds good, I have just started with muzzle loading, I have a smoothbore Enfield P58 2 band navel, I am having good results at 50mtrs with 40 grains by volume of Pirodex triple F with an overshot card then lubed fiber wad, .010 Ox-yoke oiled patch and a 575 factory made swaged ball, which gives it a nice snug fit. I am awaiting delivery of a lee melting pot and a Lee 575 ball mould, also waiting for my black powder certificate that is needed here in the UK hence the use of Pirodex, looking forward to casting my own projectiles and using traditional black powder.

Back