• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need info to function 45 cal cva Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smerft85

32 Cal
Reaction score
I inherited a cva .45 Kentucky, I know nothing more than that really. I am a reloaded for all things centerfire so I do understand weighing powder, bullet weights and so on, but I've got nearly zero knowledge in black powder, and I'm cursed with horrible hunting laws. Regulations state a .45 cal can be used as a legal method of take, but only with conical bullets. With loading for centerfire cartridges I naturally wonder about using bullets meant to load for .45acp, 44 magnum, 45 colt or anything similar in size simply because I'd rather shoot it as I would hunting to know the weapon. I have a pound of pyrodex although I dont know which type, and I'll still need percussion caps which I understand to be shotgun primers. Any suggestions will be heavily appreciated, I need to use this rifle next year hopefully. Thanks in advance!

welcome to the forum Smerft85.
we need a little more information about your gun. is it a Kentucky pistol or rifle?
the caps you need are not shotgun primers unless someone converted the ignition to one of those whatcmacallits.
if you could post pictures you will get all and more information about your needs.
respectfully Deerstalker.

Assuming you are speaking of a Kentucky rifle, it has a slow twist so a short conical will be needed for accuracy. The smaller lee REAL would fit the bill. Lee had conical moulds and the REALs come in 2 sizes per caliber. A smaller and a larger one. The shorter smaller one should stabilize good enough for deer. Pyrodex basically comes in "P" for pistol and "RS" for rifle or shotgun but either will actually work.

Either the Pyrodex P(istol) or R(ifle) will work okay in your CVA Kentucky Rifle. It will use #11 percussion caps. Recently caps have been hard to find. Takes some searching. Bullets for modern cartridge revolvers are too small in diameter not to mention, too hard to work in your rifle. You will find the 200 grain Lee REAL bullet will best meet your state's hunting requirements.

@Smerft85, do a search on the Forum for starting our. Many good threads are on the forum to describe the equipment and the practices to shoot your rifle.

Like mooman, the lighter of the two Lee R.E.A.L. bullets have worked well for me in roundball twist guns.

You are as green as the grass and that's alright. I was there some 48 rears ago!Black powder is measured by volume not weight. Welcome from Maine! Keep asking questions. Lots of experience means you have done lot's stupid things. You could not have found a better place to be.
Nit Wit

There are some how to stickies on shooting, loading, terms etc that are great reference materials as well.

If you have pyrodex it needs to be measured by volume especially as it is lighter than real black powder and an overcharge is possible. As noted we measure by volume. Did your rifle come with any other items for black powder shooting? If you can indicate the general area where you are located there may be someone on the forum close by who would help you get started. We try to be helpful for the most part. I understand the reluctance to be specific on location.

Lots to answer, and I thank you all! It is indeed the Kentucky rifle and it came to me (both times) as the rifle only. I'm in the southern half of Colorado and all shooting items have been scarce here too. As far as being green, understatement of the year! Only BP experience I've got is watching a buddy of mine miss 13 shots on 10 different deer in two days, I shot that rifle one time at the range and outshot both him and his wife, so the constant criticism continues from me.

Oh, and I'll get pictures probably tomorrow, shes one of the prettiest in the cabinet, but never been fired that I'm aware of.

Another option I was curious about is either replacing the barrel or having it re-bored to a 50 cal, is that possible and/or recommended? Sure would make following hunting regs easier.

Welcome to the hobby. 🙂 It's still not too late, you could still make a good escape. NO? Well it's less expensive than golf....

..., so I do understand weighing powder, bullet weights and so on,
So black powder and substitutes are measured by volume. They may actually weigh the same amount as the volume measure setting but then again they may not.
and I'm cursed with horrible hunting laws. Regulations state a .45 cal can be used as a legal method of take, but only with conical bullets. With loading for centerfire cartridges I naturally wonder about using bullets meant to load for .45acp, 44 magnum, 45 colt or anything similar in size simply because I'd rather shoot it as I would hunting to know the weapon....,

So as the folks have mentioned, your barrel will not shoot most conical bullets. The twist rate of the rifling is too slow to stabilize the bullet and modern bullets wouldn't be a good choice either. A modern bullet swages onto the rifling, while a muzzle loading conical bullet obturates, onto the rifling. Which means that it is of soft lead, and inertia when it gets hit in the arse with the powder gases, cause it to widen, and grab the rifling.

So as the folks mentioned as well, there is a company called Lee that makes muzzle loading bullets and molds, just like it makes centerfire bullet molds. Now Lee came up with a new conical called R ifling E ngraved At L oading, aka R.E.A.L. bullets. So what happens is the Lee REAL bullet has a forward rim that's a teeny tiny bit too large for the bore. You the shooter then force the bullet onto the rifling when loading, ensuring the bullet engages the rifling. The only thing left to find out is if it will be stable enough to shoot well.
I have a pound of pyrodex although I dont know which type, and I'll still need percussion caps which I understand to be shotgun primers. Any suggestions will be heavily appreciated, I need to use this rifle next year hopefully. Thanks in advance!

Well one of the members told you to get percussion caps. They are not interchangeable with centerfire or shotgun primers. It's very likely that your rifle uses caps not primers, BUT..., it is possible your rifle was modified to take primers. We will need to see photos to tell you.

YES you can have the rifle upgraded by being bored out to .50 and then also have a gun for hunting small game with shot, OR having it re-rifled. It just costs a tad more for the rifling.

Finally, some of the CVA Kentucky rifles had an adjustable trigger pull. So if when you try the rifle the trigger pull is too heavy for your liking, let us know and we may be able to help you adjust yours.

LD

Another option I was curious about is either replacing the barrel or having it re-bored to a 50 cal, is that possible and/or recommended? Sure would make following hunting regs easier.
The CVA bored through the breech plug drum is not to be removed and therefore the CVA barrels are not recommended for reboring and our favorite barrel reborer doesn't rebore those barrels with the CVA/ Traditions breech. You would be better off trying to replace the barrel with a 50 caliber CVA barrel.

@Loyalist Dave has written a lot of good information on the Lee Precision REAL bullets. Most of us that use the REAL bullets cast our own. There are a few bullet casters that do offer the Lee REAL bullets, but it will take some searching.

Sounds like you need to read all the starting information about equipment needed to shoot a muzzle loading percussion rifle. Black powder shooting can become very addictive and you will certainly think differently abut your center fire rifles.

That rifle really is at it's best loaded with round balls. Not saying that it won't shoot with bullets though. If you have any modern molds on hand in the 451 or 452 size in the lighter weights they can work when cast from pure lead. They may need to be sized. I size them with a lee 451 push through. I'm shooting those from a 1:48 twist barrel. Your rifle probably has a 1:66 twist rate and there is a good chance it won't stabilize a conical.

I understand your dilemma with the Colorado regs as I'm also in Colorado. The downside of the regs is that with your 45 you still won't be legal for elk.

If you want to PM me your location I can probably get you in touch with someone local to you.

I inherited a cva .45 Kentucky, ...
Back in the 80's I won a CVA Kentucky Rifle Percussion kit. It was a .45 caliber. I put it together and shot it quite a bit. My son bought the same kid and had some trouble putting it together so I traded him and built that one. It also shot quite well. I used .440 round balls in it with a lubed cloth patch. According to the Goex chart FFF with 58 gr powder is the load you should use. I have used up to 70 gr with no problems. I also bought the Pistol kit that went with the rifle. I use a #11 or 10 cap depending on what I can find. I have shot conical bullets out of both and even tried a .45 auto bullet out of the pistol just to see if it would shoot. It did.

Black powder is measured by volume not weight.

+1 VERY important ! !

Use a blackpowder measure ( Google: "blackpowder measure for sale" ), even for Pyrodex - and never a scale.

Also very important, NEVER load any BP firearm with any smokeless powder - even with cat sneeze loads.

(The difference in the power curve for smokeless will disassemble your BP gun, tuit' suite' )

Last edited:
As far as being green, understatement of the year!
Ok, that's obvious. Welcome to the forum,,
Just keep reading items previously posted that interest you,, the forum archives are an encyclopedia of knowledge.
When your ready, asking informed and directed questions will help you tremendously, 👍
Asking "how do you pee in the woods?" without knowing if you have boot's on or are barefoot isn't helping anyone,,

Isnt that one of the firearm safety rules? Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. I have absolutely checked to make sure it's clear, another reason I believe it to be an unfired weapon.

I do have a friend here in town (same guy that missed 13 shots) that is into muzzle loaders and he has been a pretty big help for the basics, he got to take a look at it a few days ago and assumed it was a 50 cal instantly, the look of shock when I told him it was a 45 cal was priceless, then I had to set him straight on a few hunting regs because it came up in that conversation.

I dont know that I'll ever look at centerfire differently, but I do want to become proficient with a muzzle loader for sure, love all things that go bang or boom.

Also fully aware my smokeless/centerfire powders dont mix with muzzle loaders, I watched many videos of folks showing why and I wouldnt want to be the guy holding onto one with the wrong stuff in it.

I have my friend here trying to locate the projectiles for it weather they be ball or conical, he has all the caps and powder I'd ever need to use it, and he rides along with me for my hunts (butcher for a living so I'm double spoiled).

I got my first deer two years ago at 34 years old, my father is garbage, and my grandfather was disabled by the time I was old enough to hunt, so im somewhat self taught making me not really ready for elk. Once I am ready for elk I'll likely use a centerfire, mainly because my cva will probably be the only muzzle loader I'll ever own (twice).

I know I owe you guys a few pictures, but out of town helping get everything back in order after my father in law passed a few weeks ago, I'll get caught up as soon as I have a chance, and I I appreciate all your help.

Latest posts

Back