• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a TC Hawken flintlock tonight at an estate sale. I pull the hammer back to full cock, pull the set trigger, then squeeze the front trigger, the hammer stops at the half cock position, and the flint does not strike the frizzen. But if I just ignore the set trigger and squeeze the front trigger at the full cock position, the hammer falls all the way forward, and the flint strikes the frizzen. Does anyone know what’s wrong? And how do I fix it? Thanks

I bought a TC Hawken flintlock tonight at an estate sale. I pull the hammer back to full cock, pull the set trigger, then squeeze the front trigger, the hammer stops at the half cock position, and the flint does not strike the frizzen. But if I just ignore the set trigger and squeeze the front trigger at the full cock position, the hammer falls all the way forward, and the flint strikes the frizzen. Does anyone know what’s wrong? And how do I fix it? Thanks
Do you have the knack? Meaning, can you fix stuff? If you can, then the following posters will guide you, if you can’t, take the gun to the place the following posters suggest. My Pedersoli came with a manual that said how to adjust the set trigger. The gun I have doesn’t have one, but the manual is very generic and is likely sent out with all of their firearms, but I’m sure the info is accurate. Try searching Pedersoli blackpowder manual and you can likely see how to adjust a set trigger for their guns. Probably be similar to how you would set yours up. Good luck, better to wait for the other guys to answer, since I’ve never done this.

Check the two screws that hold the lock internals together . My sons rifle did the same thing and it was a loose screw . That would be the first thing I would try . His rifle was a Cougar cap lock but I think the screws are the same .

Last edited:
Those two screws were exactly the problem. They just needed a little tightening. I live in Beaver Falls, PA. There’s a little muzzleloader shop 3 miles from me called Shablesky’s Muzzleloading Supplies. They’ve been in business for about 30 years. I bought my first flintlock from them 23 years ago…a Lyman Great Plains .54. The owners are Mitch and Mary Shablesky. Great people!

Yes I watched, and learned. And it was Mary, who is a wealth of knowledge about muzzleloading. Mitch was out hunting, so Mary was running the shop. When I walk in it doesn’t matter who’s working, I know I’ll get top notch service from either.

Those two screws were exactly the problem. They just needed a little tightening. I live in Beaver Falls, PA. There’s a little muzzleloader shop 3 miles from me called Shablesky’s Muzzleloading Supplies. They’ve been in business for about 30 years. I bought my first flintlock from them 23 years ago…a Lyman Great Plains .54. The owners are Mitch and Mary Shablesky. Great people!
That's awesome to have a good place like that so close.
They would be almost 8 hours from me.
Making Dixon's my closest dedicated muzzleloader shop,,,, at 3 hours and 45 minutes away.

That's awesome to have a good place like that so close.
They would be almost 8 hours from me.
Making Dixon's my closest dedicated muzzleloader shop,,,, at 3 hours and 45 minutes away.
I'm a bit closer at 1 hr and 45. And imagine next July the new location of the Fair will be jammed with folks.
May take some things and have a tailgate sale out of the Silverado. Hope they don't mind. And get a decent horn along the way.

Do you know Joe Namath? That was his high school. Very cool!

I'm located at Lake Anna, VA and I never heard of a custom smokepole shop. I wonder where the nearest one is? I bought stuff back in 78 from a place called the Powder Horn in San Antonio, TX. Lots of time ago...

I hope you watched them. When you take your lock out, take a close-up picture

There are only two screws through the bridle . Both have to be tight . On Parkers rifle one was tight and the other was touching but not snug. I now check those screws every time I take the lock out . Glad you got it sorted . Treasure that shop , the last one in my area closed over 30 year ago .

I don’t know Joe Namath, but yes he’s from around here. He grew up about 5 minutes from my house. My dad knew him back in middle and high school…Joe is about 3 or 4 years older than my dad. They went to the same school

Back