• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help with these, please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67tony

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I apologize if this is not the right spot to post this, since I am not sure if these are "pre-1865" or not.

Any help establishing an era, an identification, or a worth, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

kYr218k.jpg

4SiQvle.jpg

srv4EYW.jpg

Both should fit within the forum even though they might have been built later than 1865. I can't help you with specifics on either. Are there any names or markings on them?

The top gun appears to be a Rifled Musket from before the Civil War or during that unpleasantness.

It looks a bit like the Springfield 1842 I used to own but without a more detailed inspection it's hard to say. It could be a later model that was made in the 1862-1865 time frame.

We have several very knowledgeable members that will be able to give you a better idea about it.

The double barrel shotgun could have been made any time between 1830 and 1870. (After around 1870 cartridge guns became popular.)

As for the "Enfield", it was most likely made between 1853 and 1865.

If you want to shoot any of them, please have it thoroughly inspected by a good gun smith.

You might also want to check them all to see if they are still loaded.

Often, these old guns were loaded and sit aside and they are still loaded today.

A quick way to check to see if they are loaded is to run the ramrod down the barrel.

It should go to within an inch of the breech end of the barrel. If it doesn't go that far down the barrel be very cautious.
Although it could be nothing more than a couple of marbles or wads of paper some kid stuck in it, it could be a fully loaded charge and since black powder doesn't weaken with age it could fire.

You can take the barrels off the shotgun by pressing out the key. There are almost certainly proof marks on the bottom that will identify where, and to some extent when, it was made. Probably Belgium (ELG)or Birmingham England (Crown over Crossed swords).

The drop of the stock appears to be far in excess of that in common with any of my Enfields, even taking into account the crack at the wrist. That appears to have been bound with reinforcing wire at some point - now removed. It may well be an Enfield lock...

From a personal point of view, I'd rather have boiling mercury poured into my nailed-back ears than fire any of them - at least I'd know that that really WAS going to hurt.

tac

The 1st is an 1854 Austrian Lorenz rifle musket, heavily imported and used by both the North and the South during the American Civil War. The brass plaques seen on the butt and wrist are post - war additions to fancy up the gun. The wooded ramrod is also a civilian addition.

Latest posts

Back