• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber flintlock that is shooting about 3 inches to left of center at 50 yards. I understand that the rear sight should be moved to the right to change point of impact. My question is do I turn the Screw Clockwise or Counter Clockwise to move point of impact to the right. My eyes are not nearly what they were 30 Years ago. Thank you!

I have a Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber flintlock that is shooting about 3 inches to left of center at 50 yards. I understand that the rear sight should be moved to the right to change point of impact. My question is do I turn the Screw Clockwise or Counter Clockwise to move point of impact to the right. My eyes are not nearly what they were 30 Years ago. Thank you!
I like to give the windage screw a good half turn and watch what the sight blade does in relation to the base. This will give you positive feed back on which way to turn the screw without relying on memory.
Don't be afraid to adjust sights with screw adjustments as they are repeatable and that's why they are there. Shading is not nearly as precise as changing sight adjustments for light conditions , mirage and wind.

Last edited:
I have a Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber flintlock that is shooting about 3 inches to left of center at 50 yards.
Stop "peeking".
It's not the gun,, it's the shooter.
don't over think it.
"Follow through" the shot,, put the sight's back on the target,, don't "look" where the shot landed,, you'll see that later,
Follow through.

Last edited:
You could always just mark your sight with something like a Sharpie and watch it move. Low tech and boring, but will work. Or maybe use the graduations on the sight, though that removes a lot of the challenge.

Latest posts

Back