• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help with revolver.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyman54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The problem is with my Dance Brothers revolver by Pietta. The barrel wedge if tapped in like it should be will not let it be fully cocked so I have to leave the wedge barely making contact with the RH side of barrel. Should I file the wedge down a bit? Not sure if that's the fix, don't want to make things worse. Thanks.

Seems like a little needs to be filed down from the end of the barrel making contact with the cylinder. That needs to be done squarely and minimally. If you're not comfortable doing it a gunsmith is advised. Of course if this is a new purchase you should contact the vendor.

It sounds like the hole in the barrel lug for the arbor is too deep allowing the barrel to be drawn up against the cylinder impeding its rotation. Check and correct if necessary before doing anything else. The wedge might need a little work after that's done but usually it doesn't. Never file anything off the back of the barrel except as the final step in correcting a barrel/cylinder gap that is too tight after everything else is corrected. There is a lot of info on how to check and correct the barrel/arbor fit on this forum and the net too so it doesn't need to be repeated here as a search will bring it up.

Return it for exchange if a new purchase. Not doing so is an endorsement for the manufacturer to continue producing problem revolvers. The market is flooded with problem revolvers already.

Thanks very much to you all. Rather not return it as being in Canada would upset the apple cart. New serial number would mean going through the whole registration mess which believe me is a mess. Will try your suggestions.

I probably should have started by saying you should remove the barrel and cylinder and then check if the revolver cocks OK first. Even if it were possible to return the gun you might get another with the same or worse issues. I went that way one time with no improvement. Unfortunately most Italian repros have issues with the arbor length and cylinder to barrel gap being the most common. I bought a new Uberti Walker just about 4 years ago and a couple of easy taps on the wedge would force the barrel against the cylinder so hard you couldn't even begin to draw the hammer back. Ideally you should be able to seat the wedge with thumb pressure of a very light tap with a soft hammer and end up with a correct barrel/cylinder gap every time and a smoothly functioning revolver barring internal problems.

The problem is with my Dance Brothers revolver by Pietta. The barrel wedge if tapped in like it should be will not let it be fully cocked so I have to leave the wedge barely making contact with the RH side of barrel. Should I file the wedge down a bit? Not sure if that's the fix, don't want to make things worse. Thanks.
If you have one, take a flat, metal cutting file and lay it on a table. Place the wedge on the file so that either the narrow front side or the back side is resting on the file. (These are the working surfaces of the wedge).
Push the wedge down tightly on the file and then pull it along the file in a direction that goes from front edge of the file towards the tang. You should see some metal chips or filings after you do this.

Do this a couple of times and recheck the fit with the pistol. If doing this didn't improve things, do it again. It doesn't take much to make a difference.

As for the engagement of the wedge with the barrel, it should be making a solid contact on both the right and left side but, the end of the wedge does not have to be coming out of the side of the barrel for it to be correct. (Some people think it must be sticking out of the side of the barrel. It doesn't.)

If you have one, take a flat, metal cutting file and lay it on a table. Place the wedge on the file so that either the narrow front side or the back side is resting on the file. (These are the working surfaces of the wedge).
Push the wedge down tightly on the file and then pull it along the file in a direction that goes from front edge of the file towards the tang. You should see some metal chips or filings after you do this.

Do this a couple of times and recheck the fit with the pistol. If doing this didn't improve things, do it again. It doesn't take much to make a difference.

As for the engagement of the wedge with the barrel, it should be making a solid contact on both the right and left side but, the end of the wedge does not have to be coming out of the side of the barrel for it to be correct. (Some people think it must be sticking out of the side of the barrel. It doesn't.)
Yes makes sense. I did file the wedge a bit and things look good. Before I couldn't even let it stick out at all and was concerned it might follow the ball downrange. Thanks to all you guy for helping I think it's all cool now.

Any possibility the revolver was shipped with the wrong cylinder, inadvertently?

I ask, as being a recent purchaser of this particular revolver I did some research, (and someone with more knowledge please correct me if I am wrong here), and it appears the Dance revolvers as manufactured by Pietta, are simply their 1851 frame with a different barrel assembly and a shorter cylinder. I know on my own revolvers that the Dance cylinder is slightly shorter that that of my Pietta Colt reproductions.

I further read where a slight filing down of the rear of the barrel would result in the ability to fit a slightly longer .44 cylinder from other models (namely the 1860).

Seems a long shot that would be the problem, but thought I would throw it out there.

Have had no issues with mine so far. The action is smooth and seems well timed. It is a very nice handling .44 C&B revolver, on par or better than the 1860, but not quite as elegant visually.

Thanks for all your help. Had to file the wedge a bit and now it works perfectly. This is Geronimo with a Dance revolver.
revolver confedere dance-06.jpg

Did you check for correct arbor length to hole depth. Also the wedge should only be thumb pressed in not tapped.
The fact that there is cylinder interference suggests arbor fit needs looking in to.

Thank you. Yes the wedge can just be pressed in and needs a light tap to remove. I think there was some interference on the cylinder because the bluing was wearing a bit. I reblued it and so far all is good. Locks up tight and timing is right on. Ian

Thanks for all your help. Had to file the wedge a bit and now it works perfectly. This is Geronimo with a Dance revolver.View attachment 27794
It looks like he is wearing a cartridge ammunition belt, but no cartridges. The stitches look to be machined. The background is a hay stack with all short straw like horde bedding.
Could this possibly be a reservation photo op? Just curious, do you know the source for the photo?

I don't know the source, but they also mentioned what you said about the cartridge belt. It was taken on the Chickasaw Indian Territory in Oklahoma. So after they were moved. If you go to Cowan's auction site the photo was sold for 900+.

Any possibility the revolver was shipped with the wrong cylinder, inadvertently?

I ask, as being a recent purchaser of this particular revolver I did some research, (and someone with more knowledge please correct me if I am wrong here), and it appears the Dance revolvers as manufactured by Pietta, are simply their 1851 frame with a different barrel assembly and a shorter cylinder. I know on my own revolvers that the Dance cylinder is slightly shorter that that of my Pietta Colt reproductions.

I further read where a slight filing down of the rear of the barrel would result in the ability to fit a slightly longer .44 cylinder from other models (namely the 1860).

Seems a long shot that would be the problem, but thought I would throw it out there.

Have had no issues with mine so far. The action is smooth and seems well timed. It is a very nice handling .44 C&B revolver, on par or better than the 1860, but not quite as elegant visually.
It works fine now. I don't know, to me it's a bit elegant looking, strange without no recoil shields but still. sourdough has a good bit about Pietta made Dance revolvers. Cheers

Thanks for all your help. Had to file the wedge a bit and now it works perfectly. This is Geronimo with a Dance revolver.View attachment 27794

Not to cause a stir, but I was very good friends with a direct descendant of Geronimo.
I've been to his grave twice with my friend and his family to clean up and celebrate his life.

His family said in his old age he would regularly go to a local store and buy an old gun, then sell it to folks making a tidy profit. Much like Jesse James' mother would sell stones from his grave, then put more pebbles on every night.

I've also been to the Museum at Ft Sill, his saddle and a trapdoor carbine are there, and his cell is stunning, if you're ever in the area you should see it.

Latest posts

Back