Need help with my new hat.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
Here's a picture of my civilian hat. The points are equidistant.

civilian.jpg

Here's my military hat to wear when the miter is left behind.

Military.jpg

The point is over the left eye and the back flap is flat to the back of the head. This puts the left rear point behind the shoulder and does not interfere with the musket at shoulder arms.

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
There is frequently mention or "button and loop" used in cocking civilian hats in the early literature. Here's my take on it done with marline. It makes it easy to change from brim-up to flopt hat, as they would say,
round_hatD.jpg

round_hatG.jpg

In the Reenacting section, Clothing, 'More on early period hats' thread I posted a list of many other characteristics of 18th-century civilian hats.
Spence

Mad Michael

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One can look at this web site. It does not go into the why of hat design, but it does have a large amount of pictures of 18th century hats that are still extant:
There are a large number of other pamphlet type information on things in the 18th century, many are downloadable.

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
One can look at this web site. It does not go into the why of hat design, but it does have a large amount of pictures of 18th century hats that are still extant:
There are a large number of other pamphlet type information on things in the 18th century, many are downloadable.
Yup, that website is great. I've downloaded a lot of it to my laptop. When I go on a trip I often put a few of the files on a card that my phone can read.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
that will do it, not haven been worn. they are like fishing line, the hat's have a memory.