• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help with Mutzig Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All, I just started gently disassembling and beginning to clean a recently acquired attic find percussion pistol. What I know so far is that it is .67 caliber, I think, because the bore is currently rough looking. There are mud wasps in the metal and the wood under the barrel. The barrel is marked MPVDA VII 1445 1966 1966 I believe, as that is what I'm deciphering through the current crud. The stock is stamped 1286 in large numbers like arsenal stock stamps. Is this Mutzig arsenal? Also, it has a pommel ring but is significantly larger than a cavalry model. It looks and is shaped more like a dragoon. I'm fairly certain that the brass nosepiece is not correct and original to this pistol. The iron ramrod appears as though it might be. This is outside of my expertise. I apologize for not posting a picture but I'm sharing the numbers so I can start researching. Condition wise, there is no finish on the barrel, the stock has a lot of dings and dents but still has areas of finish. Thanks in advance! --Dr. Paul

There are some reasonably good images of this rare French piece - NOT the OP's - to be found here - https://www.andrewbottomley.com/x-x...ion-pistol-good-condition-ref-9580-3989-p.asp

Description is -

A scarce French model 1822 Military Officer's percussion Pistol, improved in 1854 and stamped on the barrel M1854. This pistol was manufactured at one of the French Military arsenals and is engraved on the lockplate "Mre Imp de MUTZIG". Rounded brass military skull-crusher butt-cap, matching brass military style trigger-guard, forend band and side-plate. Action in excellent working order. Complete with its correct steel ramrod. This type of heavy calibre percussion pistols were carried by French infantry and cavalry officers during the early-mid 19th century. Overall length 14 inches. Good condition and in working order. Ref 9580.
This is an obsolete antique pistol and is sold as a collectors item only.
No Licence is required in the United Kingdom.

However, IF we wanted to shoot it here in UK, it would have to be entered on a firearms certificate, the holder of which would have to be a full member of a gun club.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Almost all of the Mutzig Arsenal pistols pictured online have rounded stocks. This one is flat with a pommel ring. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the pistol disassembled. The only markings are on the barrel and the stock. The lock is not stamped. Last night I cleaned all of the mud wasps out of the stock and barrel. I believe it is going to clean up okay. I wonder when it was last fired, someone put a newer nipple on it. I just have no expertise on the barrel numbers. --Dr. Paul

Attachments

• 20200207_135735.jpg
    20200207_135735.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200207_135943.jpg
    20200207_135943.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 103
Back