• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with manufacture date

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Winston

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just acquired a Remington "1858" and am trying to figure out when it was made. This gun is in bad shape and will make a nice shadow box piece at best, but still would like to know what I have. It appears to be a .36 Cal, but only has a 5 shot percussion cylinder (which I cannot remove). The barrel measures 6.25" from muzzle to the end of the frame threads. It has an octagonal section that measures 5" from the muzzle to the frame. The markings I have been able to find so far are "Patented (unreadable) 14, 1858/ E. REMINGTON & SONS. ILION NEWYORK.U.S./NEW MODEL" along the top part of the barrel. On the bottom of the barrel near the frame are a "5" and a "3" (about 1/4" apart but offset and the same size/font). The trigger guard appears to be brass and on the left side, behind the trigger is "J". Under the left grip panel, at the bottom of the grip frame is a 4 digit serial number (between 2500 and 2550). Any help on what I have and when it was made would be greatly appreciated.

Just acquired a Remington "1858" and am trying to figure out when it was made. This gun is in bad shape and will make a nice shadow box piece at best, but still would like to know what I have. It appears to be a .36 Cal, but only has a 5 shot percussion cylinder (which I cannot remove). The barrel measures 6.25" from muzzle to the end of the frame threads. It has an octagonal section that measures 5" from the muzzle to the frame. The markings I have been able to find so far are "Patented (unreadable) 14, 1858/ E. REMINGTON & SONS. ILION NEWYORK.U.S./NEW MODEL" along the top part of the barrel. On the bottom of the barrel near the frame are a "5" and a "3" (about 1/4" apart but offset and the same size/font). The trigger guard appears to be brass and on the left side, behind the trigger is "J". Under the left grip panel, at the bottom of the grip frame is a 4 digit serial number (between 2500 and 2550). Any help on what I have and when it was made would be greatly appreciated.
I’m with @SDSmlf , we need to see pictures. Right off the bat it sounds like a a Police model but pictures will tell us for sure.

Back