• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with locating some patching material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sources are all out, and or have the wrong thickness. :( Looking for some bulk blue stripped pillow ticking. Every place around me has downsized the thickness to .013. Looking for .017/.018 thick 100% cotton.
Any help would be appreciated.
Larry

Last time I was in the Walmart about 15 miles from me (it's one that has a fabric section), they had well over a dozen different striped tickings -- some on large bolts and some packaged. I bought one of the packaged ones because it didn't seem to have any sizing in it (or none I could tell), and measured at 0.015" thick on my digital caliper. 100% cotton, of course. I don't wash it -- just cut it up. It's been working great for me.

Did you ask for mattress ticking, seems to me Jo-Annes kept the thicker stuff in a different area. I've also bought "cotton drill cloth" from them before. Maybe check local quilt shops, the gals might know or have scraps.

Not lately, the last time the material was thin.
Larry
You might want to give them another shot. I bought plain white from the local Walmart last spring because the blue and red ticking were too thick. I’d have to hunt up my old post to see what they measured, but it may be worth another look.

I go to the local fabric store with a Vernier caliper in my pocket , then look through the ticking and similar materials then buy a few yards of what I want , take it home and wash it . The Vernier caliper draws some strange looks but no one has dared to ask what I am doing . :)Old worn clothing tends to be of different thicknesses due to uneven wear , not always the best for patching .

Last edited:
Looking for .017/.018 thick 100% cotton.
Larry

If I remember correctly, the 40 lb. drill cloth (sometimes called pocket drill) that I've been buying from JoAnn Fabrics is the thickness you are looking for. I switched from pillow ticking to the drill cloth years ago and never looked backed. If you do end up buying some drill cloth be sure to wash it at least once to remove the sizing.

Pillow ticking is cotton twill with a blue or red stripe woven in. In the old days the stripe meant it was thicker for mattresses not so much any more. If you wash and drill any twill woven fabric it will tighten the weave making it thicker. This may help find the thickness you are looking for

My sources are all out, and or have the wrong thickness. :( Looking for some bulk blue stripped pillow ticking. Every place around me has downsized the thickness to .013. Looking for .017/.018 thick 100% cotton.
Larry
Are your measurements with the material compressed or relaxed, makes a difference.

A suggestion......Buy a micrometer , and learn to use it. When shopping for patching , a mic. insures consistency of thickness , no matter the color or weave . The correct patching thickness , eliminates one key variable of accurate m/l shooting. There are two types of mic.'s out there as well, and they don't measure patch fabric the same. A pinch mic. , will give a true thickness because it pinches the fabric down to true thickness , same as the ball in the bore does. The other mic. , is like a bird beak. As the beak is pressed together on the fabric , the reading is an average of the thickness , instead of the pinched result , of the other . This can be a trap for the unknowing patch buyer. What is printed on the label of a patch bag , is dependent on what type measuring device , used to measure the true fabric thickness . I took the time to attempt an explanation of a common problem of mislabeled packaging. ...............oldwood

Haunt the goodwill and thrift stores near you, if all else fails look through the old blue jeans.
That’s been my recourse for years (we call them Opportunity Shops, Opp Shops for short) and only yesterday I got a new supply when the fly zipper busted in my jeans. I was just off to pick up the wife from work and as I was running a bit late did a quick change into a longer coat, :) and possibly:mad:

That’s been my recourse for years (we call them Opportunity Shops, Opp Shops for short) and only yesterday I got a new supply when the fly zipper busted in my jeans. I was just off to pick up the wife from work and as I was running a bit late did a quick change into a longer coat, :) and possibly:mad:
I buy cow horns from OP Shops , I find , hat racks , lamps and all sorts of tourist trash from Mexico made out of cow horn .

I go to the local fabric store with a Vernier caliper in my pocket , then look through the ticking and similar materials then buy a few yards of what I want , take it home and wash it . The Vernier caliper draws some strange looks but no one has dared to ask what I am doing . :)Old worn clothing tends to be of different thicknesses due to uneven wear , not always the best for patching .
Three of the six gals that work in our area Jo-Anns never even blinked when I came in there looking for patching, they new what I was up to. The one gal told me her dad used to shoot at rendezvous all the time so she's been through this many times before. lol

Back