• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help with identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamiewwer1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I bought an old (looking) gun at a french flea market. But I have no idea what it is. It has some confusing characteristics (with both wire and steel barrel bands).

I've included pictures.
20200105_171413 (2).jpg
20200105_171424.jpg
20200105_171426.jpg
20200105_171447.jpg
20200105_171450.jpg
20200105_171503.jpg

Not wanting you to think everyone is ignoring you, but I don't have a clue. If I had to make a wild guess it would be that it may be middle eastern origin.

haha, no it is a really difficult one. I had more people say that the middle east could be a good target.

French...Morocco? Algeria? A gun made of parts, or repaired with native made parts? Rifled or smoothbore musket? 20 Bore? Conversion? The proof marks are too worn for me to recognize them. The roundhead screw on the cock is of a later date than the rest of the weapon. The pictograph on the lockplate forward of the cock may well be the tell-tale indication of the origin. It indicates a forward revolving motion, and is incorporated onto the cock as well.

Hard to tell from photo, but decorative (?) bands on the stock seem to be brass wire wrapping bordered by brass pins.

NSDM could indicate a Dutch origin...

I'm going to bed. Hopefully, later today I will be able to read the riddle solved by one of us far more knowledgeable than I.

Richard/Grumpa

Hi Jamie

WOW! This is a tough one. But I'll take a guess. This gun looks like it started life as one of those Belgium assembled guns for the African markets. But the hammer (original lost/broken) and wire barrel bands as well as the crude decoration added later. All signs of Afghan style work. Probably made for resale as a Tourist item during the 1950/60's. This was commonly done with a combination of old and new parts till they ran out of old parts in later years.

Rick

Back