• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with I.D.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exhibitjoe

32 Cal
Reaction score
IMG_4151.jpeg
IMG_4149.jpeg
IMG_4150.jpeg
Hi,
I'm a curator at a small history museum in Wisconsin. I'm working on a new exhibit about the history of hunting in our area and I need help getting some info on a couple guns we have in our collection.

The first one is a double barrel combo gun. It measures 46" overall length with a 30" barrel. The smaller diameter barrel (right side from shooters POV) measures about .5" (12mm) or maybe a touch smaller? It doesn't have obvious rifle grooves but maybe very faint and wide ones? The bigger bore is just under .75" (18mm). One mark in the side of the barrel on the left side.

Any thoughts?
IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4143.jpeg
IMG_4138 (1).jpeg

My guess would be a 50 caliber rifle/12 gauge combination piece. The back action locks likely make it 1850ish or later. Are there any proof marks or other marks on the underside of the barrel etc?

I agree with Kansas Jake. Many examples of these combination guns were made and used in New York State, but many were also made in Europe and imported to sell here. The mark on the barrel is indistinct, but SEEMS to be the "PERRON" (symbol that at least the barrels were made and proofed in Belgium). If so, the underside of the barrels should show the "ELG" stamping as well ... cock the hammers, pull out the wedge and remove the barrels for inspection as Jake recommends. Of special interest to me is the rear sights with the two notches. These type of guns are a challenge to regulate both barrels to shoot to the same point of aim; the owner resolved this by filing two sets of notches in the rear sight leaves, indicating that this gun was the go-to gun for a smart hunter.
Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.24.15 AM.png

Thanks You! Great info and I appreciate the thoughts on the sights since we are presenting in own our display as a hunting gun.

Since no one else has given the usual warning,,,,,,Run the ramrod down the barrels. It might still be loaded.

It is a Cape Rifle one rifle barrel one smoothbore shotgun barrel. Intended mainly for use in the Cape Colony AKA South Africa.

Back