• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with accessories for smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmvet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for the help in finding a smoothbore. Thanks to you guys I have found a new TVM Tulle and have made arrangements to purchase it. Now as for what I need

1) Black powder (seems like most like Goex) what grade, can I prime the pan with the same grade as I use in the barrel
2) Flints (what kind)
3) Round ball (assuming .61???)
4) Shot (4 or 6 for squirrel??)
5) Wadding, patches, cards etc( I want to stay as authentic as possible even when hunting)
6) Pouch, horn, vent pick (all suggs welcome)
7) Cleaning equip (I dont have a clue here)
Thanks in advance, you guys have already been a big help

1)Powder. Goex I used 3f in my .20ga./.62cal but some prefer 2f. Try both and see what your gun prefers.

2)Flints. Black English Best price on bulk order seems to be from John and Linda at October Country

3) Rd. Balls A .610 might work but mine took a .600. Lee makes a .600 mould but not a .610/

4) Shot. I used #5 for rabbits and such. #7 1/2 for doves and quail.

5) Wads. A card overpowder wad followed by a lubed fiber cushion wad. Try splitting them in half. Sometimes you will get a better pattern and use half as many of them, Then the shot followed by an overshot card wad.

6) Pouch, horn pick. Yep. You will also want to get a wad puller. It is a screw that screws into the end of the ramrod to pull a wad or charge. Real handy if you forget powder.

7) Cleaning equip. Pretty much the same as for a rifle. Just need the proper size jag, some patches, and a brass bore brush is handy too.
Hope this helps. Good luck. Smoothbores are a blast to shoot.

You are using a flinter so BP is the only way to go. For priming read the thread about ignition speed that has been in the flintlock section before you decide. Shot size, about the same as you would use in a cartridge gun, 6 for squirrels.
Cleaning you can buy some commercial stuff or use Murphy's oil soap, alcohol and water, some add peroxide to that others swear that is the path to hell. Or, you could make any number of other solvents. Confused yet? Keep it simple to start water and a little Murphy's. A CO2 discharger with a flint lock adapter is a godsend if you ever have to pull a load. Using a screw with a tight ball :eek: is damn near hopeless in my experience.

Here goes:
1. Goex or Swiss. Some like Swiss better, though it's quite a bit more expensive. I think Goex is just fine. You could use FFFg in your 20ga. I like FFg in mine. Try both and see which you prefer. Yes, you can prime from your main horn w/ either FFg or FFFg.
2. Black English flints, definitely. I'd try a 7/8" size in the Tulle lock.
3. Ball diameter could be either .600 or even .595, just try w/ different patch thinknesses: .015-.018 for .600 ball, .018-.020 for .595. Bore sizes vary by manufacturer so these are just rough numbers (I like the thickest patch I can get away with).
4. I like #4 for rabbit/squirrel. #6 would be OK.
5. Same as what Rebel said, except with roundball load, you could probably get by with just powder followed by patched roundball. If you get patch burnout, try an over powder card or fiber wad.
6. Pouch, horn, vent pick, pan brush, screw (ball puller), worm (patch puller), ball bag, extra flints. I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing, but this'll get you by.
7. Get a sturdy cleaning rod with 20ga. jag, bore brush, etc.+ cleaning patches. Pipe cleaners are handy. You can clean with soap and water, but I like the solvent method myself. I use either Birchwood Casey No. 77 or Shooter's Choice Powder Solvent. Not too often mentioned but very handy, are those cans of compressed air you get at computer stores. Also, If you do use the soap and water method, make sure the water is HOT, so it evaps quickly! Another guy suggested using Windex as a cleaner. Never tried it but it sounds OK.
Finally, you might want to carry some of your cleaning stuff w' you in the field, like the pipe cleaners and bore brush, just in case. :thumbsup:

You'll like your TVM pharmvet. I visited the shop in July when I was down in Corinth and liked what I saw ! I ordered a Fowler from Matt that I should have in April or May of 2005.

Can't wait .........

Others may strongly disagree, but in my smoothie, I will shoot any brand black powder. (Advice from some old geezers)Usually the cheapest. Elephant I bought for $5.50/lb, Goex,even some unnamed Chinese which shot surprisingly hot. There seems to be no difference to me in a smoothie. If one can make a pound last 3 years, then by all means buy the Swiss. If you are like these guys and shoot a case a year of BP, then buy the cheepo. Some are very dirty, no problem for me. Rifles are a different animal. Don't scrimp on flints, Buy the best flints there are.

Latest posts

Back