• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help with 2F or 3F in a .32 cal rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I need some advise from thoes wiser than myself. I have a .32 cal Pedersoli Scout on the way and was wondering if I could use 2F powder in it? I looked everywhere for 3F or Pyrodex P but it’s non existent in my area. I do however have a full pound of 2F at my disposal. I also found some 70gr Buffalo bull-ets and can find no charge recommendations for them. I did find two article both from Pedersoli though. One chart show a min of 20gr and a max of 40gr. The next shows that Pedersoli says 2F is the most accurate in both the 32/36 caliber rifles and list a max charge of 70gr???

Attachments

• 6F805EEB-F924-40EE-B322-07CA9011937C.png
    6F805EEB-F924-40EE-B322-07CA9011937C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • D69C527E-00B9-404B-8BF7-991B05F06523.png
    D69C527E-00B9-404B-8BF7-991B05F06523.png
    390.1 KB · Views: 35
I have a T/C Cherokee in .32. I shoot 2f in it. I have 3f too but prefer the 2f. I shoot 20gns with a .315 ball and .010 patch. I’m surprised at the max load of 70! Wow!
I hope you enjoy your scout, I’m seriously considering getting the Kentucky in .32. I want a flintlock.
Let us know how you like it. Jim

I shoot FFF but have fired a few rounds using FF and it worked fine. Start with 15 grains it will crack like a standard 22 round. Have some of the Balletts but havent found a use for them yet.

I ordered 2 boxes of ball-ets but I can’t find any load data on them. There 70grs a piece but I don’t know where to start or where the max load is. I just shoot for accuracy, no need to hot rod a .32. I know for a fact a .490 round ball with 80gr powder will pass clean through a deer at 150yards. Taken 2 years ago with 2 witnesses. Rifle was a left hand Lyman Great Plains flintlock. I would have never taken that shot if I knew it was that far. That’s why I carry a range finder but she took me by surprise on a old un used logging road. She went less than 20yards and pilled up. After than experience I felt foolish for shooting 150 grains in my inline. I actually sold both my in lines and am now totally traditional hunter, except for rifle season but I mainly observed my fiancé having the fun lol.

Would measuring 2F and 3F by volume be the same? I never have used 3F before so I don’t know if it would take more 2F to equal the same charge as 3F being that 2F has a larger granulation.

Volume for volume 3f will be a more powerful load. 20 grains of 3f will be more powerful than 20 grains of 2F due to the smaller granulation of the 3F. So yes a bit more 2F to get the same amount of power.

Most people will use about 10% less FFF than FF for the same performance. I know people who use only FF and some who use only FFF. I use what I have!

I have been enjoying my little 32 rabbit gun. It shoots a minute of rabbit using Tombob round ball a .012" patch and 25 grains of powder. Mostly at around 40/50 yards. Because of F&G laws I have to use Tombob hunting and lead RB for plinking.

My ‘standard’ 32 caliber squirrel load in my Pedersoli Scout flint (and percussion, I have both locks) is 12-15 grains of 3F Swiss. An inch high at 25 yards, about an inch low at 50. Use a Ballistic Products 1-1/2 buckshot and a wet patch, with a .375” hard felt wad (Duro-Felt Products) over the powder. I’ve standardize on 3F Swiss for most of my shooting, but 4F shows a lot of promise in 32 caliber. No reason to think 2F powder won’t work, though it might be a bit slower as a pan powder if you are shooting flint. You won’t know until you try it.

The only conicals I have tried much in the 32 caliber Scout were some semi wad cutters dropped out of a Saeco mold that weighed in at around 100 grains. Played with sizing and paperpatching, but other than perfectly round holes in paper targets from semi wad cutter design, found no advantage and soon abandoned the idea.

As far as max charge, a 32 caliber muzzleloader is not going to be a ‘magnum’ no matter how you load it. Think of it more in terms of a 22 rimfire that delivers it’s 43 to 44 grain bullet pre expanded to 32 caliber. All I’ve found with heavier loads is more fouling and loss of accuracy. I use the dry felt wad between the powder and patched ball because I have found a wet patch can mess with the rather small 12-15 grain powder charge, but will let you load and shoot all day.

I’ve never seen a .32 that shot better with 2f than with 3f but I’ve seen many a .32 that shot as well, or very nearly as well, with 2f….. I hope, but doubt, that helps.

Thanks fellas for all the opinions, I would prefer 3F but I can’t find it in my area, or even Pyrodex P either. Only my LGS has 2F or 4F at 40.00 a pound. Last time I bought powder it came in a metal can and was 14.99 a pound. I must have forgotten to mention that my rifle is a percussion.

Hey fellas, I need some advise from thoes wiser than myself. I have a .32 cal Pedersoli Scout on the way and was wondering if I could use 2F powder in it? I looked everywhere for 3F or Pyrodex P but it’s non existent in my area. I do however have a full pound of 2F at my disposal. I also found some 70gr Buffalo bull-ets and can find no charge recommendations for them. I did find two article both from Pedersoli though. One chart show a min of 20gr and a max of 40gr. The next shows that Pedersoli says 2F is the most accurate in both the 32/36 caliber rifles and list a max charge of 70gr???
70 grains in a 32 seems suicidal. 10 grains of 3F Goes produces decent groups with no recoil and it's perfect for plinking or for introducing someone who is afraid of guns to shooting. I would stick with 3F and forget 2F. You can still find and order Swiss, Schutchzen and maybe Goex.

I use 15 grains of powder in my .32 caliber rifles with a spit patch. Plenty of power for small game and even varmints in range. I had a large supply of 2F for a while and I simply put a half dozen round balls in my horn so that the rolled around and ground some of the powder when carried and handled. It worked fine and I really could not tell the difference from the 3F. JMHO

Thanks fellas for all the opinions, I would prefer 3F but I can’t find it in my area, or even Pyrodex P either. Only my LGS has 2F or 4F at 40.00 a pound. Last time I bought powder it came in a metal can and was 14.99 a pound. I must have forgotten to mention that my rifle is a percussion.
Living in the past I see. 1990's bought Goex in metal cans by the case of 25 at $5.75 lb. Them days are gone.

I bought a 3 year old Siverado in 1997 for 10K be 30K today.

Back