• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help! TC Hawken 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gahalfast

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Having set trigger issue. When I adjust set trigger where it holds set. Hammer falls to half-cock. Adjust out so set trigger will not set and hammer falls normally???
What direction should I take to fix the challenge? Is this problem in the set trigger or in lock mechanism???

Something is wrong with the fly in the lock. If the lock is placed at full cock, the hammer should not stop in the half cock notch.

Who is the maker of the lock?
Can we see a picture of the lock internal pieces?

Take the lock out and check the screws that hold the bridle plate on. While doing that also check that the fly is present. After that check lock function while it's out of the stock. And check the sear-arm to see that it's not bent.

If all that checks out okay then take the triggers out and check/test them for function.

If all that's good, check for rub marks(shiny or rough places) in the inlet to see if anything's binding on the stock.

Hammer falls to half-cock. Adjust out so set trigger will not set and hammer falls normally???
Common problem, easy fix.
But ya gotta take the lock out of the stock and clean it,,(Heaven Forbid!)!!
So ya got that part,
,take the lock out, spray it down with a de-greaser and wash it or hit it with brake cleaner and compressed air or both, too clean all the old oil gum and grime off it.
Everything should be clean and dry.
While you have it out,, play with it, honest,, work the action and see how it functions.
A couple drops of oil, aka; A Couple Drops of Oil,, really helps those moving parts function.
The fix;
All those moving parts are held in place by a plate with 3 screws,, all those 3 screws have to be TIGHT for those parts to work proper.
If any of them are the tiniest bit loose, the fly detente will tip in it's position and stop the locks function in any of several positions short of hammer/nipple contact.

The only reason the lock worked with the adjustment all out, is because the front cam then rides high enough to by-pass the adjustment.

Nothing is wrong or broken with the lock,, it just needs some TLC :)

bubba,, I was typin when you posted,, didn't know ya did it,, I'm happy to back ya up with the fix,,

Darn kid's,(!) All we can do is point'm in the right direction,,

Yep. As they say, ‘it ain’t rocket surgery’. Get out yer screwdrivers and yer pipe wrenches and yer big hammers and maybe a torch or two & start tinkerin’. I embellished a bit for effect.

Mite want to turn gun over and adjust also the screw on the hammer could be to tide

Mine when parts were cast for triggers, it had a small hump where adjustment screw touched. One turn of screw in would release hammer. We pulled trigger assembly out and filed down hump to have possible full engagement of hammer in tumbler to "as fine as a fleas hair" for distance trigger would move before releasing hammer.

Common problem, easy fix.
But ya gotta take the lock out of the stock and clean it,,(Heaven Forbid!)!!
So ya got that part,
,take the lock out, spray it down with a de-greaser and wash it or hit it with brake cleaner and compressed air or both, too clean all the old oil gum and grime off it.
Everything should be clean and dry.
While you have it out,, play with it, honest,, work the action and see how it functions.
A couple drops of oil, aka; A Couple Drops of Oil,, really helps those moving parts function.
The fix;
All those moving parts are held in place by a plate with 3 screws,, all those 3 screws have to be TIGHT for those parts to work proper.
If any of them are the tiniest bit loose, the fly detente will tip in it's position and stop the locks function in any of several positions short of hammer/nipple contact.

The only reason the lock worked with the adjustment all out, is because the front cam then rides high enough to by-pass the adjustment.

Nothing is wrong or broken with the lock,, it just needs some TLC :)

i think necchi is spot on ... try his fix first before you go taking stuff apart or buying new stuff

Back