• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help on the identification of this old muzzle-loading rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have this old rifle. I have found zero identification on it. I'm curious of the estimated year, make, and origin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2370.jpeg
IMG_2372.jpeg

Well unless it is rifled you have what appears to be an old shotgun of the less expensive sort .If there are any proof marks it might help origin but dosn't appear to be special. Unless of course you can prove it belonged to some famous person.or some heroic tale relates to it .
. Rudyard

It's not rifled. Just curious about the approximate year, make, and where it may have come from. I was thinking of an old Kentucky muzzle-loader. 1700's maybe???? I'm not familiar with muzzleloaders.

The back action, percussion lock puts the gun in the mid 1800's. It may have been a full stock that was cut down. Mainly due to the lack of an under rib. Its seen plenty of use. Its more of a generic universal hardware store shotgun of the last half of the 19th century.

The back action, percussion lock puts the gun in the mid 1800's. It may have been a full stock that was cut down. Mainly due to the lack of an under rib. Its seen plenty of use. Its more of a generic universal hardware store shotgun of the last half of the 19th century.
Thanks for the info.

My guess is its Belgium import 1850s could be early 20th even. But unfortunately I cant link it any earlier than c1830s at earliest .Its a knockabout farmers sort of gun nothing more romantic. These posts will show you late 18th Early to mid 19thc Kentucky rifles so called . Sorry I cant be more helpful than that .Its still an old workhorse and someone helped develop the US with guns no better ,sort of gun might be taken on the westward migrations . Who knows what tale it could tell but it cant talk. Cheers Rudyard

My guess is its Belgium import 1850s could be early 20th even. But unfortunately I cant link it any earlier than c1830s at earliest .Its a knockabout farmers sort of gun nothing more romantic. These posts will show you late 18th Early to mid 19thc Kentucky rifles so called . Sorry I cant be more helpful than that .Its still an old workhorse and someone helped develop the US with guns no better ,sort of gun might be taken on the westward migrations . Who knows what tale it could tell but it cant talk. Cheers Rudyard
That's perfect info. Thank you so much. Charlie

it is definitely a single barrel fowler / shot gun of the garden variety. at the turn of the century there was one in every barn behind the barn door for that dasterdlay chicken thief!

Do you know the approximate gauge, or have you miked the barrel? I bought an old 20 gauge awhile back, the locks worked so I shot it with a light load. It worked, yours might too after inspecting it well.

Back