• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help in determining market value on Swedish M/1815 Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcolins

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've inherited a Swedish smoothbore M/1815 Flintlock. My father acquired it back in the late 1950s. The barrel, stock and brass butt plate on the stock are all stamped with the same number.

Not only would I keep it, I'd give her a name! INGA from Sveeden! :haha: Seriously, there are a few fellows from over that way who are members here. I'd bet they will chime in.

Appreciate the thought, but I'm not a gun enthusiast, Motorcycles are my thing,.....I would get far more enjoyment passing this on to someone who really appreciates it and and buying an interesting bike that I can actively enjoy with my ride group. Recent company buy-out and resulting unexpected unemployment is also a factor. I did a Google search, couldn't find any currently for sale.

Also, Where/how would be the best way to sell this,...auction? Craigslist? Classifieds here or other site? Don't think I can put it on eBay. Any input appreciated

Yeah, ebay doesn't like guns so they would make you part it out if you were to even be able to sell it on there. Too nice of a gun to do that to it.

I too am a motorcycle guy, but I also am a gun guy. I figured that they both went together pretty well.

That sure is a nice rifle. If you don't want it you can throw it away in my garbage can. It'd sure look nice in my gun safe next to my other shooters.

2.214,77 EUR according to this site:http://www.bisgaardnielsen.dk/product.asp?product=16467

From my figgerin that's about $1942.78 USD?
Looks to also be about .73" caliber from a quick Googling. Definately an interesting firearm! I'd shoot it!

gunbroker only charges fees if the gun sells. Put what you'd consider a high number on the gun, then add another 25% to it, and put it up on the auction.

You can also find a seller who specializes in antique military arms and ask for an appraisal.

Stuff that commands a high price may take awhile to get it.

Yeah, that's a dog lock which was an early form of flintlock before they made the half-cock stop. It might be older than you think. The first long Land Pattern Musket (Brown Bess) completely replaced the British Doglock Muskets by 1722. Evidently the Swedes continued making them as late as 1815. Definitely an interesting gun!

Twisted_1in66

The brass furniture def looks to be early to mid 1800's but the lock looks much earlier by more than a half century.
I wonder if the Swiss cannibalized older weapons parts as a cost saving?
Def looks out of place but the fit looks original.

I wouldn't get too excited about the dog lock. From what I could see on the internet, the Swedes and Norwegians were still using them as late as 1834. They must have liked the safety aspect.

2115 euros is about 2525 US dollars.
The problem is, that you would need to find a collector of military arms who may be interested in scandinavian arms. On the open market you may get 30% of this value if you are lucky.
Another option may be the auction through
Hermann Historica as an US lot.

been a while since anyone weighed in on this, anyone in Sweden that could comment on value?

This is an m/1815 "reparationsmodell", a term that can be loosely translated as "repair model". It means that it is an 1815 model musket using older parts, in this case the lock.

I think these are very interesting, there are examples having older 20mm musket barrels, russian or germal locks taken during the wars et.c. Here in Sweden the reparationsmodell is valued a bit lower than a true 1815, for some reason.

I guess it would sell for around 8000SEK or 950USD here. In the US i have no idea of pricing.

There are probably swedes that are more knowledgeable than me on this forum, though!

The lock looks very similar to an m/1778 lock.

I have an m/1815 myself, and I shoot it a lot. They are excellent shooters, and I believe the current world champion uses one too.

Anyone seen one of these for sale or in an auction recently. Still trying to get a better idea of realistic market value in the US>

Thing is, here in Sweden the 1815 is a very common weapon (almost like Volvo's), since it was made between 1815 up to 1840's (where it changed to percussion model)and some Swedish regiments even had it up to the 1860's due to upgrading to newer weapon models was abit costly.

You can get a nice working 1815 here from 3000 SEK up to 5000 SEK (300 USD up to 500 USD, i bought mine for just about 380 USD.), maybe they are worth more in the US.

And the doglock has been rule for all military weaponry of the Swedish Army since the 1680's, when King Karl X Gustav had an accident with a poor lock and ordered the doglock security system to be mandatory, it was used i think up to the cartridge rifles came into action.

Latest posts

Back