• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Identifying Some Antique Pistols - Any Info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarum

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

A friend who is looking to get more info to possibly sell these guns. Any info is appreciated. I'll get better photos in the near future.

Thanks,

Skarum
Gun D.jpg
Gun C.jpg
Gun B.jpg
Gun 1A.jpg
Gun 1.jpg

Hello Everyone,

A friend who is looking to get more info to possibly sell these guns. Any info is appreciated. I'll get better photos in the near future.

Thanks,

SkarumView attachment 25576 View attachment 25577 View attachment 25578 View attachment 25579 View attachment 25580
Wow, you can tell these are old display pieces (original guns) from the 50's-60's. Should be no problem selling them, even the "parts" ones. Best of luck! Bet you get many replies. Would be fun just cleaning/restoring them up! Nice!

Very interesting. The multi barrel one that is third photo down with a shot pouch is a pepper box. The directly above it is a single shot version of the pepper box. If you friend is serious about learning the value, then you will need to examine each piece for a name or other marks. And up close photos of the markings. Good luck.

gun-d-jpg.25576

This one looks like it was made sometime in the 1795-1825 time period. My guess is based on the fact that it is a flintlock and the shape of the grip. Pistols with this grip shape were made in Europe, Great Britain and America.

gun-c-jpg.25577

This pistol seems to be a Allen & Thurber Double Action Bar Hammer, "arch handled" pistol. Made in America in the 1845-1855 time period, the pistol was cocked and fired by pulling the trigger. There were a number of copy-cat makers in America that also produced pistols like this.
The A&T arch handled pistols in 2007 were estimated to be worth about $200 in good condition. I consider this pistol to be less than a "good" condition.

gun-b-jpg.25578

This pistol looks like a Allen & Wheelock bar hammer double action, pepperbox pistol.
Pepperbox pistols were popular between the 1830's and 1860 and were made by several different companies.
If this and the one above are stamped with the name Allen then my guess is on the right track. If there is a different name or none at all, the value would be less.
The value of pepperbox pistols ranges from depends a lot on the pistols size and condition of the gun. Generally speaking, the larger they are, the higher the value.
I see in Flayderman's Guide the value of one in a "good" condition ranges from $325 to $875. Your pistol is lower than "good" in my opinion.

gun-1-jpg.25580

This percussion pistol was probably made in the 1830-1850 time period. It could have been made in Europe, England or America.
Beyond that I can't say what it is.
In its present condition, I wouldn't place its value much above $150 unless it was stamped/marked with some famous builders name.

I think Zonie has given you an accurate evaluation of the pistols and you probably won't find any better without identifying marks and more photos. He was possibly more generous in assigning conditions to them than I would have been. They were mounted as display pieces countless years ago when they had little or no value and never received any care since. A thorough cleaning using proper techniques for antique firearms and lubing would add substantially to their value but would take quite a bit of time. Hopefully that'll happen rather than let them deteriorate further. If nothing else they would make much more attractive display pieces. I would be interested in seeing more of the flint pistol with the captive ramrod specially the barrel as I have a mint original .50 smoothbore barrel among my parts stash that looks almost identical

Thanks so much Zonie Hawkeye and others, truly appreciate the help. Going to get more closeup photos and will post but this is great info. Appreciate it mucho.

gun-d-jpg.25576

Barnett Flint Lock.JPG

Barnett 2 Flint Lock.JPG
This one looks like it was made sometime in the 1795-1825 time period. My guess is based on the fact that it is a flintlock and the shape of the grip. Pistols with this grip shape were made in Europe, Great Britain and America. I included an overall photo and a closeup of Barnett Marking Above.

gun-c-jpg.25577

A&T DBl Action .JPG

I Only found a '7' maybe on the underside of the barrel. No "Allen and Thurber" visible.

This pistol seems to be a Allen & Thurber Double Action Bar Hammer, "arch handled" pistol. Made in America in the 1845-1855 time period, the pistol was cocked and fired by pulling the trigger. There were a number of copy-cat makers in America that also produced pistols like this.
The A&T arch handled pistols in 2007 were estimated to be worth about $200 in good condition. I consider this pistol to be less than a "good" condition.

gun-b-jpg.25578

Allen Wheelock.JPG

Worchester.PNG

I found what appears to be Patent and Worchester in the above photos.

This pistol looks like a Allen & Wheelock bar hammer double action, pepperbox pistol.
Pepperbox pistols were popular between the 1830's and 1860 and were made by several different companies.
If this and the one above are stamped with the name Allen then my guess is on the right track. If there is a different name or none at all, the value would be less.
The value of pepperbox pistols ranges from depends a lot on the pistols size and condition of the gun. Generally speaking, the larger they are, the higher the value.
I see in Flayderman's Guide the value of one in a "good" condition ranges from $325 to $875. Your pistol is lower than "good" in my opinion.

gun-1-jpg.25580

Naked Lady.JPG

No Markings but did find a naked lady in above photo.

This percussion pistol was probably made in the 1830-1850 time period. It could have been made in Europe, England or America.
Beyond that I can't say what it is.
In its present condition, I wouldn't place its value much above $150 unless it was stamped/marked with some famous builders name.

Also found this gun, Below. No Markings.
New Gun.JPG

IMG_9189.JPG
IMG_9190.JPG

I have some powder flasks and a small cannon I'll upload later today in a separate post.

Attachments

• Barnett 2 Flint Lock.JPG
    Barnett 2 Flint Lock.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 105
Hi Skarum

The blunderbuss is often loosely referred to by collectors as an Ottoman Knee Pistol. These were popular throughout the Ottoman Empire from the late 18th through at least the Mid-19th Century. But no where else. They were primarily used on horseback and often have a sling bar/ring attachment on the left side (but not always). While similar in basic design/decoration there are no to EXACTLY alike, as they were individually hand made at one of the many gun shops in the Balkans, usually under contract with the Ottoman Empire. Your example would in fact be considered a "wall hanger" type condition, that would display much better with a correct cleaning. Middle Eastern type guns have generally never brought the value of their European and American counterparts. There are simply not as many collectors for them. To give you an idea of the value, one in antique excellent condition, with silver decoration on the barrel, just sold at an auction this past Saturday for $450.00.

Rick

Latest posts

Back