• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help identifying scale cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyFlo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member to the forum and am seeking advice from knowledgeable cannon folk. I do have a full scale 1/2 Pdr replica of cannon at Ft Ticonderoga but mostly collect functional scale model muzzle loading cannons. I recently purchased what I believe represents a fully developed scale model of an 8” English howitzer circa 1820. This information is based on research I’ve seen and a photo of a full scale photo from the Royal Artillery Institute at Woolwich UK. I’m a bit of a stickler for detail so want to create a period correct carriage and get as much information as possible before starting a build. The cast bronze miniature is accurate down to the smallest detail including the spade end of the powder chamber and thru drilled rear reinforce for an aiming device. The tube screams period made and possibly buiIt at a British arsenal. I’m attaching some photos of the tube for your inspection and hope someone can confirm my thoughts on the cannon and period.

My biggest challenges are 1) how to replicate a square thread elevation screw and elevation handle. Does anyone know someone that might offer that kind of service or have advice for making one? 2) I’m trying to determine the correct scale for building an accurate carriage but I’m stuck on the math and can’t figure it out. I’m assuming an original 8” howitzer pictured below is what I have in miniature. It measures 3’4” in length per the description. My scaled down models dimensions are: 7.25” long to the cascabe, 4.125” trunnion width, 2.5” muzzle width and 1.25” bore.
I would appreciate any help to determine the scale in inches and suggestions members may have on this build as I really want to be do a proper job. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Bob 86F9F393-E788-4C5D-80B8-5DF95E9AABD2.jpegE508C1ED-9F8D-4E7D-B2FF-CD451C091A91.jpegF025EACB-74A5-4B7E-8F3D-50D96D12C114.jpegE674ECF6-C5B5-47D3-A6F4-4694E120F867.jpegF88872FD-C8E4-48F9-925E-CF8279760F61.png070989B7-ACD8-4FF5-91F1-319EC957E5C0.png

3' 4"=40"
Divide that by the overall length of your barrel (in ") and you should have the scale.

For example 40"/ 7.75" would give you a scale of 1/5.16 or approximately 1/5th. size.

If you could scale the elevation screw you might be able to find an Acme threaded rod. They are available here from 1/4" up and at a reasonable cost.

https://www.mcmaster.com/acme-threaded-rods/acme-lead-screws-and-nuts/
That's a beautiful tube.

3' 4"=40"
Divide that by the overall length of your barrel (in ") and you should have the scale.

For example 40"/ 7.75" would give you a scale of 1/5.16 or approximately 1/5th. size.

If you could scale the elevation screw you might be able to find an Acme threaded rod. They are available here from 1/4" up and at a reasonable cost.

https://www.mcmaster.com/acme-threaded-rods/acme-lead-screws-and-nuts/
That's a beautiful tube.

thanks very much Hawkeye 2 For the information. I got the same measurement but thought it odd that someone would recreate a model to that imprecise scale and not exactly 1/5. That’s partly why I’m not 100% sure my model represents the one pictured at the Artillery institute. it certainly looks the same. I guess I could make the parts to correspond to that 1/5.16. I’ll check out the McMaster website for Carmen lead screws.
thanks, Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back