• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying/replacing nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrifle76

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everybody.new here.been shooting BP for a few decades,albeit intermittently. I picked up a 50 cal hawken style rifle a few weekends ago that has a nipple I can't identify.barrel is marked navy arms.the nipple is shorter than "typical" rifle/pistol nipples,but larger in diameter.i measured it as 5/16ths at the bottom.where the threads stop and normally shoulder or widen out at the point where a wrench fits on,this one is the same Dia. all the way to where the actual nipple is.not alot of selection in replacement parts in my area,and I've already purchased an incorrect replacement I can't return.im having trouble figuring out how to post a photo.will asap.thanks if anybody has one of these rifles and has an answer

Thanks.was my next step.hopefully I can find a replacement(s)/extra ones.only place I can think of is dixie gun works

Thanks.was my next step.hopefully I can find a replacement(s)/extra ones.only place I can think of is dixie gun works
Track of the wolf, log cabin shop. Where you located? Might be a shop or club near you to help 6ou get the correct one and up to speed shooting it.

Send it to Log Cabin, they can match it if the hardware store cannot figure it out.

Track of the wolf, log cabin shop. Where you located? Might be a shop or club near you to help 6ou get the correct one and up to speed shooting it.
Send it to Log Cabin, they can match it if the hardware store cannot figure it out.
Will keep that in mind.(i would guess?)dixie would for sure have one. I'm just outside of wilmington n.c. lots of iPhone addicted millennial hipsters shooting the newest fangled polymer wonders,but no BP shooting groups that I know of.there is a cowboy action shooting range out in winnabow,winnable, that's all I know of

Might even be a place close in virginia for you. These are some of the nmlra charter clubs. Good luck.

NORTH CAROLINA

Crosse Creek Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc.

Shoots 2nd Saturday monthly, Buck Buchanan, 1798 Potomac Road, Fayetteville, NC 28304, 910-977-6200, [email protected], www.crossecreekrifleandpistolclub.com

French Broad Rifles Inc.

Shoot Dates 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month, Robert Rolfe 15 Glenway Dr Asheville, NC 28804, 828-620-1253, [email protected], www.frenchbroadrifles.com

Lafayette Longrifles

Shoots 4th Saturday monthly except December Fuquay-Varina, NC Lance Butler, 336-912-1992, [email protected]

North Carolina State Muzzleloading

Rifle Association

Tom Como, 3520 Catlett Farm Road, Wake Forest, NC 27587, 919-830-3678, beaverdamforge @aol.com, www.ncflintlock.wix.com

Yadkin Valley Long Rifles

Shoots 3rd Saturday monthly except January, Greg Williams, 704-589-6125, [email protected]

White Oak River Longrifles

Shoots 3rd Saturday monthly at Register Sutton Rd., Delway, NC, Debbie Futral, 103 Kennedy Circle, Hubert, NC 28539, 910-545-9443, [email protected]

VIRGINIA

Bull Run Muzzleloaders

Shoots 3rd Sunday monthly, Rich Burkhart, 480 Friendship Rd, Friendship, MD 20758, [email protected]

James River Black Powder Club

Various Shoots – call for info. Susan Martins, 1156 Sunken Meadow Rd, Spring Grove, VA 23881; 757-866-8389

Riflemen of Wynne’s Falls

David Clark, 511 Beechtree Ct, Danville, VA 24540, 434-836-5652, [email protected]

The Shenandoah Longrifles

Various Shoots – call for info. Hollie Blankemeyer, 2942 Oak Crest Ave, Roanoke, VA 24015; 540-797-6265; [email protected], shenandoahlong rifles.com

Wilderness Road Muzzleloaders

Shoots 2nd Saturday every month April-Nov. (weather permitting), Jim Hartlage 485 Lakeview Dr. Wytheville, VA 24382, 276-228-4635, [email protected], www.wildernessroadmuzzleloaders.com

Witten Fort Long Rifles

Shoots 2nd Saturday every month April - November. Luke Chambers, 433 Ruble Hill Rd, Bluefield, VA 24605, 276-245-9390, [email protected]

Might even be a place close in virginia for you. These are some of the nmlra charter clubs. Good luck.

NORTH CAROLINA

Crosse Creek Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc.

Shoots 2nd Saturday monthly, Buck Buchanan, 1798 Potomac Road, Fayetteville, NC 28304, 910-977-6200, [email protected], www.crossecreekrifleandpistolclub.com

French Broad Rifles Inc.

Shoot Dates 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month, Robert Rolfe 15 Glenway Dr Asheville, NC 28804, 828-620-1253, [email protected], www.frenchbroadrifles.com

Lafayette Longrifles

Shoots 4th Saturday monthly except December Fuquay-Varina, NC Lance Butler, 336-912-1992, [email protected]

North Carolina State Muzzleloading

Rifle Association

Tom Como, 3520 Catlett Farm Road, Wake Forest, NC 27587, 919-830-3678, beaverdamforge @aol.com, www.ncflintlock.wix.com

Yadkin Valley Long Rifles

Shoots 3rd Saturday monthly except January, Greg Williams, 704-589-6125, [email protected]

White Oak River Longrifles

Shoots 3rd Saturday monthly at Register Sutton Rd., Delway, NC, Debbie Futral, 103 Kennedy Circle, Hubert, NC 28539, 910-545-9443, [email protected]
Wow.thanks for the links.had no idea!

Track of The Wolf has the nipple you need. The nipple for my Navy Arms rifle came from TOW.
Have 2 otw.i ordered a fiberglass ramrod from midway.was sposed to be an 11/32 diameter.they sent a 3/8.i called and made a grievance.they sent another one.same exact one.will cost more to mail it back than I payed.contemplating just gradually sanding one down.any experience/thoughts? Was gonna order a rod tip set and build one.october country sells 5/16" kits with pins.my navy has a max dia.hole of 11/32.am not going to enlarge thimbles and rod hole in rifle

Fiberglass rods are noted muzzle wearers , be careful not to let the rod come in contact with your barrel bore unless it is coated with some protectant of sorts . Remember fiberglass fibers are a known carcinogenic so wear a quality mask ,gloves and eye protection when sanding

Latest posts

Back