• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help identifying old civil war musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a conversion from a model 1816 US musket that was originally flint.

B96-B3358-21-FE-4-E91-A840-E23-F10-CB93-F6.jpg

I don't believe it was US gun. The bottoms of the middle and lower bands are flat and the top band doesn't look quite right. The trigger guard bow never had an attachment point for a sling swivel. Actually the whole guard is wrong and there is that screw in front of the bow. There are a few other things that look close but not close enough to me. Knowing the caliber, length of the barrel and length of pull might help some.

I don't believe it was US gun. The bottoms of the middle and lower bands are flat and the top band doesn't look quite right. The trigger guard bow never had an attachment point for a sling swivel. Actually the whole guard is wrong and there is that screw in front of the bow. There are a few other things that look close but not close enough to me. Knowing the caliber, length of the barrel and length of pull might help some.

If it was based on any kind of a Lorenz, for sure it wasn't a US gun.

It is neither a "frawk" nor a "frankenstein". It is an Austrian Model 1842 Engineer's Rifle, sometimes known as a Model 1844 Extra Corps Musketoon. While the gun is a conversion, it was not converted from flint. The Austro-Hungarian Empire originally went from flint to tube-lock rather than what we know as the standard percussion cone and cap. The M1842 series was a complete line of tube-lock, .71 caliber weapons for their military from infantry to cavalry and rifle troops. The tube lock was not as reliable as the standard percussion system used by almost all other nations and they later went to the cone and cap ignition with the introduction of the Lorenz designed weapons in 1854. The M1842 weapons line was obsolete and surplus to the Empire's needs after the Lorenz series was adopted and a large percentage of them - 23,371 - were quickly purchased for the use of Federal troops by Herman Boker of New York. very few if any went to the Confederacy who's agents had beaten Federal purchasing agents to Britain where they tied up all available P53 production leaving the Federals desperately short of weapons for their rapidly expanding army. Boker had the tube-lock to percussion conversions done in Liege, Belgium where they were also lightly rifled as well before importing them to U.S. Ordinance. Because of the over-sized bore of .71 caliber, the Austrian as well as Prussian and the excellent French military arms imported for Federal use were rated 3rd Class and saw very little service with front line troops but they did allow troops to train with something other than broom sticks.

For more information and excellent photos of the Austro-Hungarian weapons, see the excellent book on arms imported from Europe for the American Civil War, Firearms From Europe, Second Edition by Whisker, Hartzler and Yantz .

It is neither a "frawk" nor a "frankenstein". It is an Austrian Model 1842 Engineer's Rifle, sometimes known as a Model 1844 Extra Corps Musketoon. While the gun is a conversion, it was not converted from flint. The Austro-Hungarian Empire originally went from flint to tube-lock rather than what we know as the standard percussion cone and cap. The M1842 series was a complete line of tube-lock, .71 caliber weapons for their military from infantry to cavalry and rifle troops. The tube lock was not as reliable as the standard percussion system used by almost all other nations and they later went to the cone and cap ignition with the introduction of the Lorenz designed weapons in 1854. The M1842 weapons line was obsolete and surplus to the Empire's needs after the Lorenz series was adopted and a large percentage of them - 23,371 - were quickly purchased for the use of Federal troops by Herman Boker of New York. very few if any went to the Confederacy who's agents had beaten Federal purchasing agents to Britain where they tied up all available P53 production leaving the Federals desperately short of weapons for their rapidly expanding army. Boker had the tube-lock to percussion conversions done in Liege, Belgium where they were also lightly rifled as well before importing them to U.S. Ordinance. Because of the over-sized bore of .71 caliber, the Austrian as well as Prussian and the excellent French military arms imported for Federal use were rated 3rd Class and saw very little service with front line troops but they did allow troops to train with something other than broom sticks.

For more information and excellent photos of the Austro-Hungarian weapons, see the excellent book on arms imported from Europe for the American Civil War, Firearms From Europe, Second Edition by Whisker, Hartzler and Yantz .

Well, Sir, I bow to your expertise. As I've said before, and will no doubt have cause to say again, I'm here to learn as well as to pass on my meagre store of knowledge, such as it is.

TFoley, no one here has more knowledge than you, I am constantly impressed with the quality of the information you share. I was simply able to find a source with the information that the OP needed. 50 years of observation and a good library of reliable information are my only advantage.

TFoley, no one here has more knowledge than you, I am constantly impressed with the quality of the information you share. I was simply able to find a source with the information that the OP needed. 50 years of observation and a good library of reliable information are my only advantage.

Sir, you are very kind, but exaggerate fearfully. What I know about things like this could be scribed in large letters on an angel's eyelash. As, indeed, you can see by my original posts.

Back