Need help identifying cannon

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

casonj2003

32 Cal
Reaction score
HI all,

New member, first time post.

I live in England and I have a cast iron cannon with a 2 inch bore. It measures ~40 inches long and 11 inches accross the trunnions. It has been spiked (see photo) and the cascabel is cracked (see photo). I can't find any legible markings, maybe there is a small area (see photo) where I tried to capture what looks like a mark but immpossible to see any detail.

I bought it on Ebay UK about 8 years ago from a farmer in Manchester who had inherited it from his brother-in-law when he passed who was an antique gun dealer. I paid £150 for it which at the time my wife thought was a total waste of money.

Cheers James

Attachments

casonj2003

32 Cal
Reaction score
Sorry, I said cascabel is craked, that was wrong. The crack is under tthe first reinforce.

Melchi577

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have come across these before, not sure exactly when they were made i would guess some time in the 1980's used one quite a bit with a reenactment group i used to be with. a word of warning we believe they were flat cast not vertical and the grain structure of the cast iron is not as good as it could be, they are prone to leaving the trunnions behind and i have heard of this happening to others. this happened to me one day when i was on linstock i touched it off and as the smoke cleared i realized the barrel was missing fortunately the groups policy of not having anything directly inline behind a gun meant this only caused embarrassment and an awkward moment for the commentator.
on another aspect as it is of modern manufacture and doesn't look to be officially deactivated it would still be a section1 firearm if over the 2inches or a section 2 firearm(shotgun certificate) if under. so would be worth contacting your local police licensing authority, explain the situation and getting it moved to a registered firearms dealer for proofing or deactivation to make it legal.
i doubt this is the information you were hopping for when you posted but if i can be any further help get in touch and i will see what i can do

Melchi577

32 Cal
Reaction score
the trunnions on these are quite long for their diameter so if the trunnion cups are close to the barrel to minimize the leverage and the charges are sensible it should be ok.
and don't have anything behind inline with the barrel (which is legitimate precaution for most guns)