• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Identifying an Old Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the black powder world. I inherited this firearm that has been in the family for many generations. As I've progressed in my learning I've learned there are many different styles of rifles from many different periods and regions. This rifle came from the southern Va. or N. Carolina area. At first I thought it was a Southern Mt. style rifle, but the butt has me inclined to believed it is a Leman style rifle. The barrel is 42" long and calipers indicate it is a .40 cal rifle.

I'd like to build a replica for my own shooting. I'm starting on my third black powder build and would like to make another build mimicking this rifle if I can find the necessary kit and/or parts.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

20220514_201721.jpg

20220514_201833 (2).jpg

20220514_203744.jpg

20220514_201743.jpg

I should have looked harder for the appropriate section to post this. Can a moderator please move this to the firearms identification section, please.

Back