• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help Identifying “Martin Rifle Works”...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
0AB294B7-70E7-4D94-9F0B-D5A4D129D7EE.png
ECB6ECC5-0275-4527-9865-98CC6D3176E7.jpeg

I have the opportunity to buy this rifle for $500, but I am new to this and don’t know if that is a fair price.

The bore is clean and the rifling sharp.

It’s a beautiful looking rifle to me, but I don’t want to spend $500 on a $200 kit rifle if that is what it is.

The owner passed, and his heir is offering it up along with a few others including a Damascus side by side BP shot gun.

The gun appears to be one that was made within the last 50 years so this thread really belongs in the Flintlock area of the forum.
The Firearms Identification section is for pre 1865 original guns.

That said, almost any flintlock with a good condition bore is selling for well over $500, many of them going for over $1000.
My advice is, buy it. At that price, even if the bore was total junk, it could be rebored and rerifled for a couple hundred dollars and you would still come out ahead.

My apologies for posting incorrectly, and O actually read the rules, so looks like I need to redo that.

Grateful for the advice, from all, will go buy it.

thnk u!

You have a $200 lock(looks like a Siler with the pointed tail rounded off), $150 or more piece of wood, and $60 triggers plus the unknown barrel. Can't see the rest of the rifle. You can't go wrong at $500.

Yes, I agree, it’s a great looking rifle.

I am new to BP, so I have no idea as to who the “Martin Works” maker is.

My concerns were:

1. Is it worth $500
2. Is it worth significantly more than $500, in which case I would let seller know so she could sell to someone else for the maximum return.
3. If the flintlock mechanism broke, could I replace it and still have a usable rifle?

Thank you for the tip, and for introducing me to Hacker rifles.

It can’t be a Hacker Martin rifle because the the makers name on this one is perfectly spaced and level, with modern font type, and the machining of parts is too precise, so I am guessing it must be a 1960’s or newer rifle that was assembled by whoever “Martin Rifles Works” was / is.

All the Hacker rifles I was able to look up were beautiful rifles which had a completely different makers mark. The stocks were clearly aged and detailed, and the metal work was hand finished.

Since you say you can, get the SBS while you're at it. The flint is very nice, but, given the choice, I'd probably get the shotgun. They seem to be underappreciated. What i can see of that one looks good and he obviously know his weapons and appears to have taken care of them. If the flint is an indication, i doubt you'll lose on either of them.

Flinty Scot, the shotgun is stamped Albert Greene, but it has a slight dent on muzzle where she dropped it on top of the other rifles when I went to look at them.
I am not sure it is even shootable because it is a Damascus barrel. It is a work of art but I only buy things I can shoot.
Thank you for the advice though!

Flinty Scot, the shotgun is stamped Albert Greene, but it has a slight dent on muzzle where she dropped it on top of the other rifles when I went to look at them.
I am not sure it is even shootable because it is a Damascus barrel. It is a work of art but I only buy things I can shoot.

I have an original 11ga British made sxs, Damascus with a slight dent in the left barrel about 4" from the muzzle. Proof marks put it around 1835. When I got it the owner told me I needed to clean it because he had used it for one last dove hunt the day before. I wouldn't load it up for elephants or even turkey, but for dove and rabbit loads it shoots just fine.

Run a bore light down the barrel looking for pitting. If none, it is probably a safe shooter. Get a black powder gunsmith to look at it and bless it. If really worried, have the barrel x-rayed, or whatever is the correct term, to check for problems.

IMO: The rifle at the OP is an Allen Martin Schimmel rifle. Those rifles sell new for about $1,700 and up.

"With the "Schimmel" being the basis of the Allen Martin rifles the
prices and parts on these are as follows .
Curly maple stock , Siler flintlock , single trigger ,brass triggergaurd
and 2 ramrod pipes and misc. small parts -
with a straight barrel - $1700.00
With swamped barrel $1900.00"

(1) ALLEN MARTIN EARLY LANCASTER COUNTY 'SCHIMMEL' FLINTLOCK c1750 - Bing video

Allen Martin builds a Schimmel | BlackPowderMag.com

Lehigh County Flintlock Rifles (flaminharry.com)

Okie Hog,

Thank you for the information.

I seriously doubt it is A. Martin rifle, but just in case I sent pics to the main seller of A. Martin rifles.

Okie Hog,

Thank you for the information.

I seriously doubt it is A. Martin rifle, but just in case I sent pics to the main seller of A. Martin rifles.

Talk about a class act!

A. Martin responded this morning and advised it is not one of his rifles and that he doesn’t know who Martin Rifle Works is.

Back