• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help finding book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee thunder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Several years ago I read a historical novel about the F&I war. I can't remember the title or author. There was a chart in the book that listed how the native Americans labeled scalps taken. Different colors and markings on leather attached to the scalp. Examples would be a certain marking would be for a farmer, another for an enemy killed in battle.... Probably not historically accurate but interesting. Does anyone know the book I'm looking for? Thanks

I'd like to know too, I've never read or even heard of a chart like this.

In Allan Eckert's THAT DARK AND BLOODY RIVER: CHRONICLES OF THE OHIO RIVER VALEY is quoted a letter to Frederick Haldimand, British Governor of Canada from apparently Col. Guy Johnson, British superintendent of Indian affairs and nephew of Sir William Johnson. It was dated January 3rd, 1782 and describes "eight packages of scalps, cured, dried, hooped and painted with the Indian triumphal marks". An example is that in No.1, that "the inside of the skin painted red, with a small black spot to note their being killed by bullets." "Also, 62 of farmers killed in their homes; the hoops painted red, the skin painted brown, and marked with a hoe, a dark circle all around indicate their being surprised at night, and a black hatchet in the middle, signifying their being killed with that weapon."
The other 7 packages are described in similar detail of the symbolism for the scalps.

That's not the book I read but exactly how the scalps are labeled. Each scalp was marked as what type of person and what they were doing when killed. Thank you sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it is fiction. Although many of Eckert's books are historical "narratives", the DARK AND BLOODY RIVER is more of a chronological study of the Ohio River. He has extensive footnotes of research for his novels. That quote was in a couple of his novels and I have seen it elsewhere. Eckert acknowledges that the author is a conclusion based on location, time frame and circumstances.

The chart appears in more than one of Eckert's books, including That Dark and Bloody River. He refers to his books as "historic narratives".

Whether the account is historically accurate or a bit of anti-British propaganda from the time is not something we can readily determine at this date. But, the fact is that the British did pay the "Indians" for scalps taken from Colonial rebels, and the Americans paid for scalps taken from their "Indian" adversaries.

Ranger Captain Samuel Brady, operating out of Fort Pitt, was paid for scalps taken by his men during the rescue of captives from "Indian" raiding parties. The money received for these scalps (and weapons etc. taken from men who had no further use of them) was routinely given by him to the survivors, or the families of those who did not survive. These were brutal times. Atrocities were committed by all sides.

Whether the above inventory of scalps was a true account or not, the fact that it was widely accepted across the frontier indicates the tenor of the times.

Richard/Grumpa

Oh yes your right, there sadly was trade and profit made in scalps and as you point out scalps from both sides.

I also enjoy Historical Fiction,, when an author writes in that designation it brings the fun of actual historical figures and events in a place or time but also lends the author license to create or add his own fictional characters/events to the story line.
I could be wrong, but seein's how this is the first time I've heard of marks on scalps to designate the victim or where they came from,, I tend to believe it's more artistic expression then something that was common practice.

Well now I am curious to learn whether either of the cited books have footnotes leading to solid documentation of these scalp charts. I have a great deal of respect for Eckert's story-telling abilities, but would like to know if the history of this is sound.

The book you are looking for is likely The Wilderness War by Eckert. It is Rev War not F&I.

While the original source may be from the New England Miltia...supposedly a man named Crauford (allegedly a parcel or bale of American scalps were intercepted bound for England) captured a bale of a scalps.

Eckert's source may be different. He was very good in footnoting his sources. I find his footnotes to be the real value in his writing. Sometimes I can take or leave his fact based fiction.

The fact remains....there was some value in scalps. From Fort Willian Henry....all through the Revolution....St. Clair...Fallen Timbers...The Northwest War....Frenchtown...Creek War...up to and including the Indian Wars of the latter 19th Century.

The Frontiersmen is the 1st of 6 books in the Winning of America series by Eckerts.
The list of;
"Allan W. Eckerts narrative historical fiction series."
Can be found here and many other places; https://www.goodreads.com/series/57708-winning-of-america

"Historical fiction is defined as movies and novels in which a story is made up but is set in the past and sometimes borrows true characteristics of the time period in which it is set" https://www.google.com/search?clie...0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.-aC2KYxYCiI

Now from what I have found of Mr. Eckerts glowing reviews is that he did indeed do a lot of research for his books and based them around actual events and characters but that they are still works of fiction and not the actual source themselves of historical documentation.
All that can be easily found with simple searches.

Last edited by a moderator:
True.

As to the account of the marked scalps, it did exist at the time. The likelihood is that the list was a forgery, created to fan the flames of hatred for the British enemy. The fact that it was widely accepted as true only serves to indicate the prevalence of scalping, and the ease with which people believed the British Government/Army capable of such cold hearted warfare.

Richard/Grumpa

Back