• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need buckle ideas…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
See pic below. Picked up this handwoven horn strap a while back, but it’s too long. Here in Texas we get 100 degree days and 20 degree days, so stuff has to adjust to fit the clothing you have on…

How can I put a buckle or buckles on this to adjust length without destroying it (cutting or removing and end) invthe process? There has to be a way to do it.

6EC6100E-7520-4835-AAA5-9C393DF4CDBF.jpeg

Only way to do a buckle will be to cut the strap.
As mentioned last, you could fold over a portion and secure the fold with a clip/clamp or safety pin, maybe with a small broach style blanket pin.
20190526_163653.jpg

That's what I had to do here with this strap on a bag by "The Leatherman." Even with the buckle section as short as it would go, it was still too long. I gathered up the amount needed to make it the correct length and pinned it at the base, then folded the gathered section flat against the strap and pinned it down.

You can use a Conway buckle and punch a couple of holes in the strap to allow adjustment.

Search for Conway buckle - you can buy them on Amazon, Tandy, Buckle Guy, Tractor Supply.

Brokennock, i did the same but i stitched it up.

Brazosland, the easiest will be to fold over as Brokennock shows on his picture then decide on how to secure it. You could use pins, sew it, or leather lacing.

Conway patented his buckle in 1882 so it isn't historically correct. Pins and knots will work but there are better ways.

Scrounge up a buckle as wide as the strap.
Cut the strap apart in the middle of your back .
Sew the cut end of the short strap around the center bar of the buckle.
Feed the cut end of the long end of the strap through the buckle and pierce the strap with the tongue at the length you want it.
Finish the cut end of the long strap as you wish. Cut off some if it's too long.

It will just push through the fabric and it won't hurt or weaken it. As long as you don't adjust the strap as often as you change your pants it will last forever.

Attachments

• DSCF1835.JPG
    DSCF1835.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1836.JPG
    DSCF1836.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1837.JPG
    DSCF1837.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1838.JPG
    DSCF1838.JPG