• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need assistance in identifying new rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigt1047

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently picked up new to me rifle. Do not know anything about it other than what I could see myself. It appears to be a .45 caliber, rifled unknown twist. It has cheek pads on both sides, silver inlays, metal fore-stock, a push-pull trigger, on the lock the word "Remington" along with engraving. The barrel is octagon, 1" in diameter, machined smooth at the muzzle. On top of the barrel behind the rear sight and before the breech are the only other words/marking which are "T. Waters" and the phrase "Recut by J. Allen Kalamazoo, Mich. WARRANTED". Here are some pictures of the rifle.
DSC_0026_zpschslsssv.jpg
DSC_0027_zpswhccayus.jpg
DSC_0028_zpspkulgm3t.jpg
DSC_0029_zpsssdf8oc8.jpg
DSC_0030_zpsvir74eki.jpg
DSC_0035_zpswt5eflfj.jpg
DSC_0041_zpsh8jkosuk.jpg
DSC_0042_zpsv3zwy6n7.jpg
DSC_0046_zpsyudeie8v.jpg

first the muzzle is turned down to have a false muzzle to load it. looks like a target rifle late 18800s or early 1900s

as I look closer I see it has a strange trigger deffinatly a slug or heavy target rifle.

Muzzle is turned for a guide bullet starter (no holes for the pins on a false muzzle). A hunting/target rifle, the stock style is from the northeast US. It may have a faster twist for a picket bullet.
H.V. Perry rifles have a similar stock style I think.

rj morrison said:
first the muzzle is turned down to have a false muzzle to load it. looks like a target rifle late 18800s or early 1900s

Agree. It looks very close to many "target rifles" that were being built in Western Canada (Western Ontario back in those days) in the 1860's through 1880's.

Kalamazoo being "not that far away" might suggest that the entire region was influenced by the "style of the day".

This is an early 1860's rifle built by a gunsmith named Soper in London Ontario (about 2 hours east of Detroit) - it looks "somewhat similar".

Canadian%20Half-Stock%20Percussion%20Sporting%20Rifle%2027%20inch%20bbl%2044%20cal%2042%203qtrs%20loa_zpsldphgpa1.jpg

FWIW, the "recut by" (etc) was used in the post-Civil War era (1860-85, +/-), as the soft barrel steels of that time soon lost their accuracy from shooting & cleaning wear.

It's definitely a Sporting Rifle, not a Target Rifle - as target rifles weren't usually fitted with a RR or RR thimbles.

As noted above, the turned muzzle w/o locating holes for a false muzzle was once fitted with a guide bullet starter, similar to the ones below (it seems there were as many different starters as there were men making them).

newplungersjpg.jpg

Pete44ru said:
FWIW, the "recut by" (etc) was used in the post-Civil War era (1860-85, +/-), as the soft barrel steels of that time soon lost their accuracy from shooting & cleaning wear.

It's definitely a Sporting Rifle, not a Target Rifle - as target rifles weren't usually fitted with a RR or RR thimbles.

As noted above, the turned muzzle w/o locating holes for a false muzzle was once fitted with a guide bullet starter, similar to the ones below (it seems there were as many different starters as there were men making them).

newplungersjpg.jpg

Those are my thoughts as well.

Back