• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need assistance identifying this Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that one was in google books. I cannot find my way back now. Pretty much a dead end because I cannot read German. I gave up.

I think this is the one I was referring to. Heinisch (1794-1872) Schwerin Warthe, Schwerin an der Warthe po. Doubtful however.

The plot thickens. Schwerin an der Warthe is a small town in Poland - not to be confungled with Schwerin in Mecklinburg. See -

Kreis Schwerin in Posen (Polish: Powiat skwierzyński) was a county in Prussia, first in the southern administrative Region of Posen within the Prussian Province of Posen (till 1920), then within the Province of the Frontier March of Posen-West Prussia (till 1 October 1938) and at last as part of the administrative Region of Frankfurt within the Province of Brandenburg (till 1945). It presently lies in the western part of Polish region of Lubuskie Voivodeship.

I found another percussion jaeger from I. Heinisch in Schwerin on an auction site. Same trigger guard but a much less elaborate hammer. At the bottom of the page I read (tac likes this) so I assume he saw it too. Circa 1840. No other information.

The other rifle has those same letters (ad/W). Would it be too far fetched to suggest that this stands for (an der Warthe)?

Those letters (a.d./W) are on the barrel of both rifles also if I am not mistaken. I have to squint so I am not sure. Right after the word Schwerin.

I am sorry that I cannot produce anything other than pure speculation. I did another search specifically for the words Schwerin a.d.W and found it several times in German books from 1830's-50's but again that is nothing of value. I got carried away and my eyes hurt from reading bizarre text and squinting at small text. I quit. Carry on...

It is NOT Polish. It is German, made in what was THEN part of Germany. Poland shifts around a lot over the last two hundred years.

Even Kaliningrad was German - Koenigsberg, back then.

dyemaker said:
If this is a Polish rifle, I believe it would be eastern European afterall.
Yes, I meant literally (after all). The maps confused me to no end. Forget about that!

There was information in a family search that may be helpful but the occupation of the people is not listed. Perhaps you could use the dates of marriage and age to deduce and go on from there.(poznanproject.psnc.pl)
johann Gottlieb Heinish seems to fall into the wrong time frame. Maybe his father? IDK.

Johann Gottlieb Heinisch of Skwierzyna would have been 27 in 1840. There were a handful of other possible characters. I can decipher some German but forget about Polish. Luckily the site is in English. The map search is confusing but it is handy. It would be nice to confirm that one of these characters was a gunmaker but I think that is beyond me. These appear to be church records.

As Schwerin an der Warthe was part of Germany at that time, you do not need to speak or read Polish. Look for words like 'buchsenmacher' - 'gunmaker' or 'inh.buchsenmacherei' - 'owner of gun-making concern/business' or maybe 'waffenschmidt/schmiedt' - another form of 'gun-maker'

tac

The Lutheran church where this character was married was in Swinary (Schweinert). This is a village less than 5 miles from Schwerin an der Warthe.

It was poznanproject.psnc.pl. It is in English. There are records for Jewish, Luteran, and Catholics and refined search options. I don't think Schwerin an der Warthe was (is) a small town. It is the capital of the county of the same name (Schwerin). Of course the Polish names are different.

That forward sling swivel/hook looks interesting.
How does it work?

I have a couple of ideas, but they are only speculation.

dyemaker said:
The Lutheran church where this character was married was in Swinary (Schweinert). This is a village less than 5 miles from Schwerin an der Warthe.

I wasn't talking about Schwerin a/d Warthe when I made my comment - I was talking about what you called a village.

I messed that up anyway. That character's name was Heinrich. Johann Joseph Heinisch was the father of Eduard Robert Heinisch who was 28 1/2 years old when he married Amalie Kowalski in 1857 at a protestant church in Skweirzyna (Schwerin an der Warthe). Another possibility.

Back